Timberline Trail 25-27

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
gdgpdx

Re: Timberline Trail 25-27

Post by gdgpdx » June 30th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Thank you for this report! My son and I plan to start a trip around from Timberline on July 4. Can you confirm the route you took from Ramona Falls? Did you use trail 600 and cross the Muddy Fork up high, or take trail 797 downhill and circle back up to Bald Mtn.?

You had an ambitious pace. We are taking a "leisurely" 5-day trip and will be sure to hang our food since the bears are up and about.

Thanks.

Gary

Luke

Post by Luke » July 1st, 2020, 8:53 am

kkaz wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 10:36 am
Awesome post, and super helpful. Thanks so much. We are hoping to head out later this week and hike the trail Fri-Sat-Sun, but when we spoke with the rangers just now, they said it's too early in the season and the trail is snowed out. They said there's no way for us to go. Your post is giving us some hope that we may not need to abandon plans just yet. Do you have any additional intel on snow and trail conditions? Think there's a chance we could make the loop over this July 4 weekend? This last comment, about the icy chutes and the slippery slopes, is the one sticking point making us nervous...

Thanks in advance for any tips. And we loved your beautiful photos!
Honestly I did not think the snow was problematic, that said I would strongly recommend bringing a GPS. There should be a decent amount of tracks now and I did not find traction to be a problem. I was just in trail runners and poles. Spikes could be brought for extra peace of mind.

Here is a video of the hike to give a little perspective. Its a quick one with just some snapshots along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_DE4kR-GFo&t=1s

Luke

Post by Luke » July 1st, 2020, 8:54 am

gdgpdx wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Thank you for this report! My son and I plan to start a trip around from Timberline on July 4. Can you confirm the route you took from Ramona Falls? Did you use trail 600 and cross the Muddy Fork up high, or take trail 797 downhill and circle back up to Bald Mtn.?

You had an ambitious pace. We are taking a "leisurely" 5-day trip and will be sure to hang our food since the bears are up and about.

Thanks.

Gary

Here is a map of the route I took: https://caltopo.com/m/8HDV

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 1st, 2020, 8:58 am

Walking on snow can change over a short period of time.

It can be icy one moment and almost impossible without traction

Easy walking the next moment, easier than if there was a bare trail

Next moment postholeing