Sturgeon Rock via Tarbell/180C

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Sturgeon Rock via Tarbell/180C

Post by Chip Down » June 14th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Surprise, NOAA decided Sunday would be dry! Well, no, they were right before when they said wet. Rained on the drive up, on Tarbell, on Sturgeon Rock Trail 180C. Drizzle actually, not that bad. I wasn't going up Sturgeon in the rain (no views, slippery), so continued to the Silver Star north TH (road 4109). Along the way, I found a new spot I don't think I've been to. An overhanging cliff gave me a dry wind-sheltered place to wait for clearing. It got better, then rained a bit, and finally after 80 minutes I couldn't stand it any more, so back out into the rain and wind (not too miserable once I got moving). Clouds finally parted around the time I reached the north TH, allowing me the leisurely stroll I wanted on the way back up. With a little exertion and some sun, I finally started to warm up. Stopped by Sturgeon on the return and tried a new route up. That was fun.
Attachments
1.jpg
SS's south ridge from Tarbell Trail. I don't remember this view. Probably courtesy of logging.
2.jpg
I think I liked this spot better with clouds.
3.jpg
Sturgeon Rock is the dark fin in distance. Looks a bit sinister/ominous, doesn't it?
4.jpg
Approaching Sturgeon summit.
5.jpg
Almost there...(but not today)
6.jpg
Killer tree!
7.jpg
Nice spot, but needed a little color.
8.jpg
I like finding these in unexpected places.

Bosterson

Re: Sturgeon Rock via Tarbell/180C

Post by Bosterson » June 14th, 2020, 10:39 pm

Chip Down wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 8:17 pm
Surprise, NOAA decided Sunday would be dry! Well, no, they were right before when they said wet.
You should have tried an after brunch start in the Clack. Brush was a bit damp around noon, dry by 6. No great views, but no rain.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 15th, 2020, 12:07 am

There's a funny feeling standing on a cliff in the fog; it's like the edge of the world or something.

Bosterson wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 10:39 pm
You should have tried an after brunch start in the Clack. Brush was a bit damp around noon, dry by 6. No great views, but no rain.
Meanwhile in The Gorge
6658_stitch.jpg

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 15th, 2020, 6:32 pm

A reply from Bosterson, but no comment on my beer selection? :|

Webfoot, when you say "the gorge", I assume you mean the Columbia Tick Refuge. :lol: How many did you harvest?

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 15th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Chip Down wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 6:32 pm
A reply from Bosterson, but no comment on my beer selection? :|
I was more interested in the relatively different weather when reading your TR last night, but apologies: I'm not familiar with Trap Door's beers, and your pic isn't detailed enough for me to read the description on the can. (And googling it would be too much work, obviously.) Stout season was also, like, so 2 months ago.

I guess I should have mentioned that in exchange for no rain in the Clack, there was constant gunfire the entire time I was out there. Caveat emptor.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 15th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Bosterson wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 8:23 pm
there was constant gunfire the entire time I was out there
Yeah, I noticed that. Oh, wait, I was probably hearing other shooters. Funny, from several vantage points I could see down to their borrow pit. I was half tempted to have a word with them on my way home, but I try not to antagonize people who like shooting things.

I almost didn't bring music, but then remembered that it's not possible to go hiking in the redneck zone without hearing gunfire. So Tom Morello was my hiking partner.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 17th, 2020, 2:23 am

Chip Down wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 6:32 pm
Webfoot, when you say "the gorge", I assume you mean the Columbia Tick Refuge. :lol: How many did you harvest?
:lol:

None, despite walking through the grass. I've only flicked off a couple this year. One of the ones I pulled off in a previous year was ID'd as a dog tick. Are those actually spread by dogs or is that just a name? I wonder if the great reduction of dogs in the gorge recently has helped this year.