Ramona Falls 6/10/2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
squidvicious

Ramona Falls 6/10/2020

Post by squidvicious » June 10th, 2020, 12:52 pm

I've lost all sense of where and when to expect crowds these days. Ramona Falls seemed like a bit of a risk, but at 8:45 I was the second car in the parking lot on a rainy Wednesday morning (rainy for almost the whole drive in, then conveniently clearing just as I arrived). I only saw a couple people for the first half of my clockwise loop. They became steadier as I was headed out, sometimes in large groups, but it was never what you could call "crowded." The trail is wide and open most of the route, so it was easy to give people a wide berth.

The options for crossing are just the same as last year. Most people still seem to be opting to cross right about where the trail lets you out, but I still preferred to go a bit upstream. Either way, if you were fine with it last year you'll be fine again (for context, I'm a giant wuss about this sort of thing myself but had no problem).

I was prepared for slick mud, but at worst it was just mushy in spots. There were quite a few logs down across the trail, all easy enough to get over or under. Rhododendrons were blooming. The porta-potties were thoroughly stocked with toilet paper. The road in was, of course, well potholed, but par for the course.

If you've been thinking of heading there but just not sure it's a good choice right now, go for it.

rubiks

Re: Ramona Falls 6/10/2020

Post by rubiks » June 15th, 2020, 7:33 pm

squidvicious wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 12:52 pm
The options for crossing are just the same as last year. Most people still seem to be opting to cross right about where the trail lets you out, but I still preferred to go a bit upstream. Either way, if you were fine with it last year you'll be fine again (for context, I'm a giant wuss about this sort of thing myself but had no problem).
Thanks for the great info! I wanted to hike up Yocum Ridge yesterday and was wondering how the crossing is this year. Lots of good options, and very easy to keep your feet dry.

There were only a handful of cars at the trailhead Sunday morning at 7:30am, and we had Ramona Falls to ourselves on the way up. Coming back down in the afternoon there were six or seven other groups at the falls, with plenty of space for everyone.

And the falls were as lovely as ever.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

gallione11

Re: Ramona Falls 6/10/2020

Post by gallione11 » June 16th, 2020, 6:11 am

Some trail work had definitely been done in the last couple weeks. When I went 5/31, there were multiple trees down that had not been sheared yet so your only option was to go around. The stretch when you're on the PCT for a small bit right before where it intersects with the north part of the Ramona Falls trail was the worst. Probably a good 15-20 trees down all in a bunch. You had to weave off trail back and forth a bit.

I also went this past Sunday and it was much better. A few of the blockages were completely moved off trail and the rest had been sheared so it was an easy over and under obstacle. The stretch I mentioned above had only I think 5 trees left on the trail, but were easy to slip under.

Car count 15 when I arrived at 8:45am. People count 7 on the first 6 miles (0 at the falls). From the return river crossing to the car, 73. Helps to be an early riser. Cars were starting to park in the middle as I left as the outer ring was full.