Yapoah Lake 6/2 2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
hike

Yapoah Lake 6/2 2020

Post by hike » June 6th, 2020, 5:26 am

My son, 4, and I had planned to camp at Yapoah Lake to give him a little “off trail” adventure but we didn’t see any good campsites when we got there. Most trees were dead from pine beetles and I was surprised to see burned trees close to the lake too. I had thought the Pole Creek fire didn’t get so close to the lake. There was so much deadfall that we didn’t even want to bother going around the lake. Seems a dangerous place to stay with so many potential trees falling. We headed back out to Scott Pass trailhead. Trail was in great condition and we saw a friendly USFS crew clearing it out.

Fun day out but I can see why other reports say to avoid this lake.
Attachments
6BFC8F57-8C28-474F-B1E9-4CE4ACEBAB84.jpeg
Yapoah Lake north shore

johnspeth

Re: Yapoah Lake 6/2 2020

Post by johnspeth » June 6th, 2020, 8:27 pm

I admire you for taking a 4 yo backpacking. Well done.

Something doesn't add up. Yapoah Lake is near the intersection of the McKenzie Hiway and the PCT. The hiway is closed according to ODOT, scheduled to open June 15. Did you walk your 4 yo all the way up the road from the closed gate?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 6th, 2020, 9:06 pm

You can get to Yapoah Lake from Scott Pass trailhead. Shorter distance than from McKenzie Pass. Lower elevation.

I've never been impressed with Yapoah Lake. Not very good campsites. I've gotten water from the lake and then camped next to Scott Pass trail, lots of wide open area to camp in, although not good views. I've camped there when hiking around Three Sisters - lots of views during the hike so not so important for that one campsite.

There have been a number of big fires in the area. Over many years. Plus, all the beetle kill. I consider that all natural - it's own beauty. Ignoring any increase from global warming :)

North and South Matthieu Lakes are nicer to camp at, but McKenzie Pass has to open first.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » June 7th, 2020, 5:21 am

retired jerry wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 9:06 pm
You can get to Yapoah Lake from Scott Pass trailhead. Shorter distance than from McKenzie Pass. Lower elevation.
North and South Matthieu Lakes are nicer to camp at, but McKenzie Pass has to open first.
I'm still confused probably due to being unfamiliar with McKenzie Hiway location details. According to google, Scott Pass is near Yapoah Lake (< 1 mile). There is no trailhead there but rather a trail intersection (PCT with the Matthieu Lakes trail). The Scott trailhead (near Scott Lake) is miles north of the closed south gate of the McKenzie Hiway.

Is there access from the east (like at the end of 1026 road)? I'm trying to understand if there is easy hiking access to McKenzie Pass while the hiway is closed.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 7th, 2020, 5:49 am

I think its road 1018 to get to Scott Trailhead from McKenzie Highway (Oregon 242). Signs on McKenzie highway.

The easiest way to walk to McKenzie Pass when road is closed is to park at gate and either walk or bike to McKenzie Pass

Maybe 4 miles from Scott Trailhead to Scott Pass, and another 4 miles to McKenzie Pass. Probably some snow at places.

cfm

Post by cfm » June 7th, 2020, 6:27 am

Johnspeth,

There are multiple things named after the Scotts. West of Dee Wright Observatory there is a Scott Mountain and Scott Lake and the Scott Trail that leads south to the PCT near Opie Dilldock Pass. Minnie Scott Spring is in that area too.

But there is also a Scott Pass Trail on the east side that leads to Scott Pass at South Matthieu Lake. and that is open and hikeable now.

Two weeks ago, a friend and I rode up McKenzie Pass towing a trailer full of gear, then skiied south to South Matthieu Lake. There were no other ski or boot tracks along this route, and it was rough going with some steep terrain in the forest. Really felt like a wilderness experience. When we arrived at South Matthieu we were shocked to find others camping at the lake, including a family with a barking dog and a fire on the shore near a sign that said no fires. They had come in from the east via Scott Pass.
North sister.jpg
View from South Matthieu Lake

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » June 7th, 2020, 6:33 am

Thanks, cfm. That was helpful. From the info you provided I finally landed on this page which summarizes access to the Scott Pass trail:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/deschut ... ecid=39230

Now I can stop fidgeting and wondering.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 7th, 2020, 6:39 am

"When we arrived at South Matthieu we were shocked to find others camping at the lake, including a family with a barking dog and a fire on the shore near a sign that said no fires."

That's funny, that's too bad it diminished your wilderness experience :(

hike

Post by hike » June 9th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Sorry for the delay, but like retiredjerry said, we left from Scott Pass trailhead on the east side. It is at the end of 1026. Road is in great shape even for passenger cars (which we took). We took Pole Creek Road to 1018 to 1026.

And I never understood campfires in the backcountry, unless it’s an emergency or you are in remote Alaska. But a fire at South Matthieu? Come on, those people needed to show some respect for that area.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 10th, 2020, 5:55 am

yeah, that area is pretty sparse, plus quite a few people. Not the best place for a fire.