Follow up (of sorts) to my April 13th post re: bridges and ghost towns

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arieshiker

Follow up (of sorts) to my April 13th post re: bridges and ghost towns

Post by arieshiker » June 5th, 2020, 4:10 pm

With my last “old” trip report, I suggested it would be my last, however.....someone asked me about my strangest experience while doing the Oregon exploration photographing all the covered bridges and ghost towns, and, as it just so happens, I do have such a singular story, which seems a bit odd given how much of Oregon I traveled, mostly back roads, and how many amazing sights there were.

The one “discovery” that stuck out, and has stayed with me from that day until now, was the day I drove up to, got out, and just walked around through the old cemetery at what used to be the rail and logging town of Promise, Oregon, which some of you may have heard about, some perhaps have even visited, even though beyond the cemetery there isn’t much left of what used to be Promise.

I’m not normally a cemetery kinda guy, but given this was pretty much all that was left, I thought “what the heck,” and walked through and looked at the dates and names. That’s where I came across the markers for Letitia Carper, 1866-1919 and several smaller markers with young children’s ages and names. Obviously a woman and her children that proceeded her in death.

Back when I watched TV, I had seen an OPB broadcast about Promise, and a youtube video about the railroad’s role in the area, as well as the logging, and how people who grew up in the area and left, returned for regular reunions, which may still be ongoing - I don’t really know at this point.

Having seen the wild nature of the region, and knowing some about the hard ships all the early settlers endured to get out this way, and being struck by a young woman losing so many of her children, I just became curious about her and her role in the community of Promise.

Then I found an article in the obituary section of the Wallowa newspaper that mentioned her name.

Letitia Carper nee Lively, was born in West Virginia in 1866, and came out with others, black and white, from the region to help with the railroad and logging and to help establish the community. She married at 16 in 1882, had her first child in 1884 and her last in 1911, giving birth to a total of 17 children in those 27 years, with not a single set of twins. Six sons and eleven daughters.

Talk about contributing to a community’s future! She was a staple in the community, but passed one month short of her 53rd birthday, which is not completely surprising, given how her health must have suffered from the brutal nature of the area and its weather conditions and the lack of consistent medical care.

At her funeral, thirteen of her children were present, along with numerous grandchildren. The oldest - 35; youngest - 8. How proud they must have been, and what an amazing person and legacy to Oregon’s founding and growth. I just wonder if many Oregonians ever heard of her? I know if I hadn’t decided to ignore my normal disinterest in cemeteries, I never would have.

I didn’t find a ghost town, but I found a remarkable piece of Oregon’s history. By posting this, I hope her name lives on beyond northeastern Oregon. I find it difficult not to admire such a person. Even a century later.

I’ve attached a couple images of the cemetery and the Wallowa newspaper article.

From Promise I drove on down the gravel back roads to Troy, today a fishing//hunting camp along the Grande Ronde River, then up the steep and winding grade to Flora, which is a most fascinating place.

Now I'll stick with current outings, but it's been fun sharing and reliving......
Attachments
Promise,Oregon(moreorless).JPG
PromiseCemetery.JPG
PromiseCemeteryHeadstones (1).JPG
CarperObit.jpg

Charley

Re: Follow up (of sorts) to my April 13th post re: bridges and ghost towns

Post by Charley » June 6th, 2020, 11:31 am

Flora is one of the most out of the way places in this state. It's always stuck out to me as an example of "why is there a town here?" mysteries. I mean, there are other distant towns in this state, but this one is just in such a random location- at 4500' in the Blue Mountains, miles from any river bottom soils, there doesn't seem to be any mines nearby, and there doesn't even seem to be any surface water nearby! How'd somebody decide that this was the place!?

Looks like Promise doesn't really exist anymore, but it looks even further out, because it's not even 35 miles near to Enterprise!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » June 7th, 2020, 6:35 am

So right about the location Charley, but Oregon seems to have lots of those places still standing or in the process of being reclaimed by nature. I guess being able to explore these places is among the reasons Oregon is the special place it is. If you want to take a break from hiking, you can go search for old buildings. Back around 1900, when settling was still an ongoing enterprise, it seems a few people came out here and placed their money on hope. And lost the bet. I guess that's the nature of "homesteading." If you want a place that's totally outside the box, visit what's left of Malheur City. There are some fantastic views, but nothing grows there besides sage and thistles - and snowy, windy cold. As you leave you're wondering "what were they thinking?" But they must have had hope about something.

Charley

Post by Charley » June 7th, 2020, 9:07 am

Malheur City sounds awesome! I'll check it out.

Have you ever read The Oregon Desert?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Or

I have spent a good bit of recreation time in Deschutes, Lake, and Harney Counties and found the book fascinating. I'm amazed by the level of grit and determination, as well as the ecological and agricultural hubris of these late settled communities.

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » June 7th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Thanks Jerry - I bought a couple vowels and once Vanna had them turned, I had it nailed.

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » June 7th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Thanks for the reference Charley. I confess that most of my knowledge of Oregon's wild places, pre-shove off, was from this site, OPB's "Field Guide," Sullivan books and several Oregon maps. Most of my time in the area you've made so much time for has been fairly limited and focused - like Jordan Valley to Fields via the Alvord Desert, then several day/nights up on Steens, then Lakeview so I could see what the heck the town of Plush was all about and to explore Hart Mountain Refuge and dig for sunstones above Abert Rim. Some of the backroads seem so long and lonely, then you realize there's hardly ten miles goes past without some sort of amazing view or roadside attraction.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 7th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Yeah, nice places in Eastern Oregon.

I've done a lot within 200 miles of Portland or so. Need to do more further away.

I did a trip to Hart, signed the book, I believe it was Charley that had signed it a couple weeks earlier

Charley

Post by Charley » June 7th, 2020, 1:15 pm

retired jerry wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 12:50 pm
Yeah, nice places in Eastern Oregon.

I've done a lot within 200 miles of Portland or so. Need to do more further away.

I did a trip to Hart, signed the book, I believe it was Charley that had signed it a couple weeks earlier
Oh yeah! :lol: