Nick Eaton Ridge - 6-4-2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Nick Eaton Ridge - 6-4-2020

Post by dmthomas49 » June 5th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Was a nice cool 55 degrees when I started. I had not planned to hike the whole way up to the top of Nick Eaton Ridge. After weeks of staying home and not a lot of activity over the winter, I know for an old man, I was not in normal May hiking condition.
IMG_0435.JPG
I didn’t decide which trail I would take until I got to the Nick Eaton trailhead along the Herman Creek trail. The first mile was pretty brushy. Heart and lungs were tested making my way up the first steep section.
Lots of flowers were blooming in the open meadows.
IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0418.JPG
At the Eaton ridge cutoff trail, I considered heading to the Gordon Creek trail, but decided to push on. I have not been to the top of this trail, so I did not realize there were 3 sections that level off with a ridge in front of you. Makes it seem like, ok only one more steep section to go and then another appears. My body was doing ok, so I decided to continue. At the Deadwood cutoff trail, I again considered heading to Gordon Creek trail. I was into the flow and had a good rhythm, so continued up. I can tell the upper sections of this trail do not get many boots on it. Lots of brush and sometimes hard to find. In the last section to the top, I was happy to see trail marker ribbons on the trees. I didn’t ever lose the trail, but had to stop several times to look closely.
At the top the views were not great because of clouds and what remains of the forest. There is lots of burnt bark on the forest floor at the top.
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG
The big rock sentinels helped to shelter from a cool breeze.
Ridge Top.JPG
I fueled up and started back down. Was wearing new hiking shoes and all of downhill contributed to toes getting pounded. Luckily no major blisters though.
I returned on the same route.
I felt pretty good about my conditioning after this. 4:45 hours up, break, and down.
This is definitely not a viewpoint hike but is a great conditioning hike. Maybe this made up for my many missed stairmaster workouts!
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

arieshiker

Re: Nick Eaton Ridge - 6-4-2020

Post by arieshiker » June 5th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Excellent post and workout. Come back Sunday and let us know how your lower body responded to that kind of pounding, especially with new boots. Yikes! Herman Creek is back on my list for a change, just as soon as I get a few more miles on these old legs. I'll pass on Eaton though, even though the flowers are a draw.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 5th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Thanks for the TR and great flower pics. Yeah, I know what you mean about not being in "normal" hiking condition! Glad to hear there are trail markers too - I'm not usually a fan of flags but in this case it should prevent the trail ribboning that happens when the tread is hard to locate.

dn
Last edited by Don Nelsen on June 7th, 2020, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » June 5th, 2020, 5:22 pm

arieshiker wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 4:16 pm
Excellent post and workout. Come back Sunday and let us know how your lower body responded to that kind of pounding, especially with new boots. Yikes! Herman Creek is back on my list for a change, just as soon as I get a few more miles on these old legs. I'll pass on Eaton though, even though the flowers are a draw.
I am finding the blisters and raw spots from the new shoes. I feel like I am breaking in my shoes and my feet at the same time! ;)
— John Muir

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 5th, 2020, 6:48 pm

I've heard differing opinions on the clarity of that trail post-fire, as it approaches the ridge-crest section. I agree it's a bit faint. I think I even missed it once and went down the wrong ridge (which turned into a grand adventure).

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » June 5th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Chip Down wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 6:48 pm
I've heard differing opinions on the clarity of that trail post-fire, as it approaches the ridge-crest section. I agree it's a bit faint. I think I even missed it once and went down the wrong ridge (which turned into a grand adventure).
I think all of your grand adventures are on purpose!
— John Muir

CyrusK.

Post by CyrusK. » June 7th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Those boulders look awesome, I might just have to lug a crashpad out there.

Ddunn

Post by Ddunn » June 7th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Thank you for this report! It inspired us to get out this weekend for the first time since the lock down.

Note to hikers. It was a rainy Sunday 6/7/2020 and the trail head was packed. If you are not showing up early or late make sure to have an alternative in mind. Not dry creek falls, which will also be busy.

Our alternative: Bunker hill. Adds a bit to the drive, but there were no other hikers.

Bought a 6 pack to go from Backwoods Brewing Company on the way home!

drm

Post by drm » June 8th, 2020, 6:35 am

At the top the views were not great because of clouds and what remains of the forest.
What constitutes the top? Did you make it to the Gorton Creek trail junction? Or is that bouldery section just before the top. I used to do that loop as a great workout. But I think Gorton is even harder to follow towards the end since it isn't following a ridge line.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 8th, 2020, 7:06 am

Nice. I've never run across wild roses in the Gorge; those look good and healthy.
Don Nelsen wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 4:45 pm
I'm not usually a fan of flags but in this case it should prevent the trail ribboning that happens when the tread is hard to locate.
Your new Ribbons Against Ribbons campaign?