three days looking for Lost Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jennafrank

Re: three days looking for Lost Lake

Post by jennafrank » June 6th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Hey Chip! What was the date you ended up finding the full bear canister?
Could belong to a lost PCT hiker in that area that hasn't contacted his family since May 22nd. According to the mileage and location he was last heard from he could have been in that area. It is known that he was carrying two weeks of food, this could be it. Trying to find anything linked to finding the person. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3667409 ... 150702621/
Attachments
FBPost.jpg

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 7th, 2020, 11:22 am

Chip did give a large clue in an earlier post regarding the location of the canister. The place marked "Shortcut" on his posted map appears to be quite a steep hillside, but comprises a very short direct-line between an upper and lower section of trail just ESE of Lost Lake. You could also PM him via this website. Good luck in your search.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 7th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Jennafrank,

Aimless is correct, I found the bear canister on the "shortcut" noted on my map. Date was 5/22. That's way off from the PCT.

As mentioned, it clearly wasn't placed there deliberately. There were no reference points nearby which somebody would use to locate it, and it wasn't securely ensconced. Looked random. I'm pretty sure it got away from somebody on the trail above, and came to rest there. No identifying marks on it (e.g. a name). The contents looked old. I didn't pay too much attention, but I remember thinking I'd have to be super hungry to attempt salvaging any of the food. It was pretty full.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 7th, 2020, 10:48 pm

I’ve been chatting with someone in the search group and it seems that Chip’s find was a day too early. I gave them all my info from my hike up Herman Creek on the 1st to Tomlike and down the PCT on the second including snow situation which seemed to be mildly helpful.