Conboy Lake Wildlife Refuge - 05-15-2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Conboy Lake Wildlife Refuge - 05-15-2020

Post by dmthomas49 » May 19th, 2020, 2:01 pm

We were going to be in the Trout Lake area and decided to make a quick visit to Conboy Lake National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge had not closed during the pandemic. But the bathrooms are not open. It was a mild, dry, partly cloudy day. I forget how quickly the forest changes here to more ponderosa pine. A very different landscape from even the White Salmon River Valley.
IMG_0322.JPG
When we pulled into the small parking lot there were about 8 other vehicles, all Suburu Crosstrek, Outback, Foresters and a sprinkling of Honda CRVs. I guessed that it was an older group. Sure enough it was all old people, like us!
We first visited the old Whitcomb-Cole Log house. I can’t imagine living here with 5 kids.
IMG_0321.JPG
The birds were not cooperating for me to take photos. I captured a Harrier and a red-winged blackbird. Otherwise there were not a lot of birds out.
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG
The lake is more like a marsh as you cannot see standing water but more the grasses spread throughout.
IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG
Lots of flowers are blooming.
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0335.JPG
Found an old mailbox on the shortcut trail on the way back to the parking lot. Also a mushroom growing out of a stump.
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG
Balsamroot flowers blooming in the open woods of the shortcut trail where previous fire has cleared the brush.
IMG_0346.JPG

It was a short walk but good to get out and walk in the woods.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir