Eastern Sierra in 2016 - Bodie, Mono Lake and Tuolumne Meadows

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arieshiker

Eastern Sierra in 2016 - Bodie, Mono Lake and Tuolumne Meadows

Post by arieshiker » April 18th, 2020, 4:03 pm

For those who’ve never been - GO if you can !!!

Almost exactly four years back, although it doesn’t seem that long ago, I took another trip down to the eastern Sierra, this time south of Carson City. My goal was to spend a few days exploring Mono Lake, Yosemite’s Tuolomne Meadows and two days exploring Bodie State Park, and old mining town, a town so lawless that in 1881 it was described as “...a sea of sin, lashed by the tempests of lust and passion.” {Reverend F. M Harrington]

Now what 21st century wanderer can ignore stuff like that? Bodie is only about half what it used to be, the ravages of weather, time and fires having destroyed many of the old buildings, but what is left - and that is a lot - will satisfy even the hardest of seekers.

To explore the entire town, lots of walking is required, and this is high desert, so if you go, go prepared with clothing and water. There is little shade, although a few buildings can be entered (most can’t any longer due to vandalism from when the park was less guarded.)

My first day there was a late afternoon, about two hours before the park closed. I wanted to catch the buildings in low western lighting. I planned to return next morning just as the park was opening to catch the area in morning eastern light. I was there in early June when afternoons were sunny and warm if there was no breeze, but mornings were still in the low to mid 40s, if there was no breeze. I was very fortunate with near ideal weather conditions the entire week.

There is a small fee, well worth the price.

I won’t spoil your trip if you go, except for a few photo highlights and words of encouragement to see this amazing place if you happen to be nearby. I spent the week in Walker, California, in a neat little cabin complex that allowed easy highway 395 access to all my destinations for this trip.

Mono Lake was always one of my favorite spots when I lived in San Francisco and went to Yosemite often. The lake is beautiful and such a unique environment. If you aren’t familiar with it, I encourage some research and combining at least a day exploring it if you happen to be in this area. Or just go.

For sure, Yosemite is the attraction, but there’s so much more around that area if you have the time. There is also little shade around Mono Lake, but it is somewhat more developed now with restrooms and water, but if you wonder far enough, it’s wise to carry layers, water and snacks.

There is no camping at either Mono Lake or Bodie, but campgrounds aren’t too distant, and lodging abounds. Also around Mono Lake are numerous volcanoes you can climb up and wander down into the craters, long since extinct. At least that’s what they say. I won’t go into those sorts of details here, but leave it to your research if you get the urge.

Most of the roads are accessible, but it’s always best to check at the ranger or visitor’s centers for updated local conditions. As many posted signs warn: “towing is not available except by expensive commercial services that may take hours to arrive, if then.” Or words to similar effect.

Up in Tuolomne Meadows, the park was only just beginning to shed the snows of a longer than normal winter, so many areas were still in snow or high melt water - most of the campgrounds or centers weren’t open, but were starting to un-shutter windows and clear parking lot debris.

The granite domes, like Lambert, were all shining in the morning sun, just begging for some sneakers to be rushing up the flanks, but even the short paths to get to the parking areas were still under water. By July the climbers and boulderers would be amassing all over.

I was happy just to see the place again before heading back home. It’s pretty special to have all those places in such proximity. For any sort of extended exploration, it’s a gem.

Now to the photos.
Attachments
Yosemite (69).JPG
MonoLake (40).JPG
MonoLake (77).JPG
MonoLake (86).JPG
MonoLake (50).JPG
MonoLake (29).JPG
MonoLake (18).JPG
MonoLake (13).JPG
Bodie (92).JPG
Bodie (213).JPG
Bodie (283).JPG
Bodie (40).JPG
Bodie (16).JPG
Bodie (3).JPG
Bodie (1).JPG

Don Nelsen

Re: Eastern Sierra in 2016 - Bodie, Mono Lake and Tuolumne Meadows

Post by Don Nelsen » April 18th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the TR and pics!

I've always wanted to visit Bodie since first hearing about it over 50 years ago. I drove by on Hwy 395 in '71 but the road was closed with snow and so it was again in '98 and '14. I need to plan better!

I camped on the shore of Mono lake in '71 and my tent was nearly blown over by wind in the night - I had to move the car so one wheel was on a corner of the tent to keep it down and hardly got any sleep with the roaring of the wind. Interesting part of the country, for sure.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

TwoPaw

Post by TwoPaw » April 19th, 2020, 6:02 am

I lived in Mammoth Lakes for a couple of years way long ago and your TR brought back memories.

The Mono Lake story is amazing. Thanks to a decades long campaign (Save Mono Lake) it was literally saved - two tributaries that were diverted for LA water were opened back up to stabilize what had been shrinking water levels. Like the pictured sign says: The lake is basically a salt bath; be sure to take a float!

In Bishop is a great museum with fossils from the giant prehistoric sea that used to be there.

Thanks for sharing!

jdemott

Post by jdemott » April 19th, 2020, 7:41 am

That whole drive along Hwy 395 is a treat! So much to see and explore. Here's my favorite Mono Lake photo:

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 19th, 2020, 5:48 pm

jdemott wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 7:41 am
Here's my favorite Mono Lake photo:
I can see why. :)

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 19th, 2020, 9:41 pm

I love it down there! We went in 2015 for the JMT, and have been at least once every couple years since. Thanks for the lovely reminder!