nocturnal Wildwood in pandemic times

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

nocturnal Wildwood in pandemic times

Post by Chip Down » April 11th, 2020, 4:40 pm

If I drive up a remote road until I hit snow and then set out cross-country on my own route, I can be incarcerated as a threat to public health. But I can legally walk a narrow trail in the city and share cooties with countless others who cross my path, with the restriction that it's walk-in only (access roads and parking lots closed). Yes, the world has truly gone batcrap crazy.

Seeking a bit of exercise, I headed up to Wildwood Trail. But no way was I going to share my hike with a bunch of disease-riddled humans. So I parked my car at sunset and hit the trail, knowing darkness would keep people away. My first encounter with people was about an hour in. I was surprised. I bet they were even more surprised, as I still didn't have my headlamp on. A couple more just after that, and once it was totally dark and my headlamp went on, I never saw another human. However, around the arboretum I was getting closer to a cougher. Yikes. I never had to pass him; presumably he was on spur trail. Really, these days anybody with a cough shouldn't go out at all. Cripes.

I haven't been in Forest Park in ages, except a short stroll a couple years ago that barely counts. It was fun to get reacquainted, and also to see what's new. And seeing the familiar places in a new (lack of) light. Probably most interesting was a section that drew close to the NW industrial part of the city. At night, with the lights cutting through gaps in the trees, it paradoxically seemed closer and more imposing than it appears in daylight. Strange feeling to be in the woods but also so close to heavy industry.

When I arrived at the Vietnam Vets' memorial I realized it was the end of Wildwood. I didn't know that until I got there. That gave me a nice sense of satisfaction, a place to turn back without feeling like I had given up.

Lots of critters about. More that I remember seeing in my countless daylight hikes. Most startling was a frog that hopped down the trail right at me. Small and harmless, but it's only natural to be startled when something is coming right at you.

I've wondered if I could do all 30 miles of Wildwood in a day. Last night I covered 15 miles continuously without a break, and it was a wake-up call. I was hoping to cover 20, but no way. I'm in pretty bad shape. By the time I returned to my car, I was getting a bit achy. I think I could do the full 30 miles, but I absolutely would need some rest stops along the way. I'd have to make a full day (or night) of it.

An excerpt from an Oregonian opinion piece that pertains to my last two pics:
There are 1,648 park benches in Portland parks, and since 2007, memorial plaques have been installed on 56 of them. Some are haunting, none more so perhaps than the message on a bench near Pittock Mansion for Margee and Ian, ages 1 and 4, killed March 7, 1989, by a drunken driver. "We will miss those paths we will never have a chance to travel together," wrote their parents, Dr. and Mrs. Charles Bellville, "and knowing those paths you would have chosen for yourselves."

A bench in Hoyt Arboretum adds directions to Neverland: "My dogs Blossom and Denver. Died 1991. Go to the first star. Turn right. Head straight on till morning. Have a wonderful flight. We'll all meet you there."
Funny that those just happened to be the two I took notice of.
Attachments
1.jpg
Elaborate new-ish bridge over Burnside.
2.jpg
Saw lost of these on the trail.
3.jpg
Lost and found.
4.jpg
And more.
5.jpg
Not mine. I have better taste.
6.jpg

BigBear

Re: nocturnal Wildwood in pandemic times

Post by BigBear » April 11th, 2020, 5:25 pm

I was wondering who USFS and DNR was gonna ticket now that you can't park illegally at some obscure trailhead...or how they could make budget. :) Okay this is a bit of a rip, but you have had quite a string of tickets/warnings over the years. When I Saw your Angels Rest header, I thought, "again?" and then I saw your Discover Pass ticket and slowly shook my head.

Yes, I have been quite frustrated with the limited number of places we can stretch our legs, wondering what the authorities are thinking when they keep making things more congested. I've thought about exercising my non-right to civil disobedience, but am afraid my car would be the only one towed. I wonder if you would have had less contact with people if you just went out during daylight hours. Keep clear of those phantom coughs...it'd be terrible to have a sick cougar bite you.

I've had to change my sing-off from the standard "happy trails" to a more appropriate...
Happy Sidewalks

drm

Post by drm » April 11th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Actually, I think trailheads (and CGs, etc) are closed, not the backcountry. The scenic area is closed completely, as is Skamania County. But my understanding is that if you otherwise drive up an open forest road (a few have been closed, most are open) till you hit snow and start walking cross country, you are not violating any closures. GP and MH NFs have closed recreational facilities, including trailheads, not the land beyond them.

I've seen articles discouraging people from going "bushwhacking" but it wasn't illegal. I also saw a Forest Service FAQ that said it was for all of Oregon and WA that said dispersed camping in general is not prohibited as long as you do not violate specific closures, which for the most part means don't use a trailhead. The request is that you recreate locally, but I think that is a request. Also probably best not to need any local services in towns you drive through. Get your food and gas at home - the opposite of what they normally want. And above all, don't get rescued. If you get in a jam, figure it out.

I have not done this. But if we get to a point where we clearly are turning the corner and rural small towns are definitely not getting slammed in any way, I will consider finding legal ways to get into some part of the backcountry.
Last edited by drm on April 11th, 2020, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 11th, 2020, 6:03 pm

BigBear wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 5:25 pm
When I Saw your Angels Rest header, I thought, "again?"
:lol: But you did open the topic, I hope, and realized I was parked responsibly and courteously.
BigBear wrote:
...and then I saw your Discover Pass ticket and slowly shook my head.
What, you mean the one a couple weeks ago? Not a ticket, more like a warning, or something, kinda vague. I'll have an update on that, by the way. ;)
BigBear wrote:
Okay this is a bit of a rip, but you have had quite a string of tickets/warnings over the years.
No kidding!
In my entire life, I've had one speeding ticket and one parking ticket, except on hikes. But on hikes I've had 7 brushes with the law that I can remember. Kinda weird, considering hiking is such a small number of days out of the year. Also interesting that all of them were in Washington, primarily Skamania. Just bad luck, or does Skamania have it out for those damn Oregonians?
Another oddity is that it seems most of my flat tires have been on hiking days (often on paved roads, and I've survived some pretty horrible roads with no damage, so I thinks it's just an aberration unrelated to road conditions).

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 11th, 2020, 6:08 pm

drm wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 5:50 pm
Actually, I think trailheads (and CGs, etc) are closed, not the backcountry. The scenic area is closed completely. But my understanding is that if you drive up an open forest road (a few have been closed, most are open) till you hit snow and start walking cross country, you are not violating any closures. GP and MH NFs have closed recreational facilities, including trailheads, not the land beyond them.
I was confronted by a Washington DNR Police Officer who told me I was violating a closure order. I explained why I was where I was, explained I thought I was in compliance. Situation was as described above, I drove up an obscure deadend road where there are no trails. He said the entire state is closed, no hiking anywhere (when he said the entire state he obviously meant USFS/DNR land, not literally everywhere).

drm

Post by drm » April 11th, 2020, 6:21 pm

I think all DNR lands are closed, but I don't think he is correct that all lands are closed, period. Note that no recreational hiking is allowed in Skamania County too. Not that I would argue with him that much if I saw him. Also, the backcountry of Mt Rainier is open, if you can get there. Just saw that on it's website. But all roads are closed in the park so you would have to walk in.

Probably a good hint that if anybody is going to try to legally visit some backcountry, avoid DNR lands, even en route.

Personally, I also felt it a good idea to wait until it was clear no areas are getting slammed for their hospitals or EMTs. When we get to that point, then LEOs will take it a little easier. A week or two ago, the request was not to try and find loopholes while everybody was so worried about a calamity. Once fear of the worst calamity passes, using those loopholes may not bee seen so badly.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 11th, 2020, 6:32 pm

drm wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 5:50 pm
The request is that you recreate locally, but I think that is a request. Also probably best not to need any local services in towns you drive through. Get your food and gas at home - the opposite of what they normally want.
That's exactly what I did yesterday: I went out to some BLM land far to the east, and I brought all my food and water with me. (Not to mention a spare tire and a jump start battery pack.) Once I left Portland, I didn't interact with another human being all day.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 11th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Good for you, Chip. Looks like we once again had a close encounter - I did 10 1/2 miles in the park yesterday though I was out by 5:45 so we were close in geography but not in time.

I wasn't on the WW at all though, only crossed it a few times. I did a little on the Leif Erickson but only to transition from one fire lane to another. (I did all of FL 1, 2, 3 and 4) The highlight of the day was running into the legendary Mayhem at the junction of FL 4 and the Maple Trail. Would have been great to have run into you too, though.

Keep up the good work and the excellent TR's!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 12th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Definitely keep out of Forest Park during daytime hours. I made the mistake of turning off the BPA road onto Wildwood today and it was a total zoo. No one else seemed able to actually get off the trail to let me pass (I climbed into the brush when it was my turn to let others pass), and at one point I found a family having a picnic sitting in the middle of the Newton Road trail. The father made some apology about how they hadn't seen any "other humans," but the mother looked aghast that I would confront them about this, while simultaneously making no motion towards getting off the trail so I could pass. (I had to directly ask them to move, which they only half did. When I first came upon them, the woman smiled grandly at me as if expecting I would commend their wonderful choice of picnic spot!) So diurnal Wildwood and surrounding environs are not recommended due to the stupidity factor.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Limey

Post by Limey » April 13th, 2020, 7:59 am

DN, nice to see you ran into Mayhem, hope he is doing well. Sure miss those looney TR's.