nocturnal Wildwood in pandemic times

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Re: nocturnal Wildwood in pandemic times

Post by romann » April 13th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Agree these current measures are poorly planned. I rarely see other people on hikes - but now they want everyone to be in the same crowded places. Costco's and Walmart's parking lots in Vancouver are packed :roll:

A lot of outdoor stuff is still open. They said the coast in Clatsop county is mostly open (except for Seaside), only parking areas are closed. Some towns closed to access, like Cannon Beach and Manzanita. I drove on Lolo Pass Rd yesterday just to check it out, and there's no closures (only been to ~2,700' when I saw first snow on the shoulder - still too early to get to the Pass). Been to Salmon River Rd - it's closed just past 1st trailhead (total zoo), so I headed somewhere else. Trailheads are closed but trails are supposedly open in MHNF. And there's many backcountry destinations.

Now in St Helens area is totally different story. Road 504 is open (great for biking, the usual winter gate past Hummocks trailhead is locked) - but the 3 trailheads near Coldwater Lake are closed, and trails have additional closure signs..Skamania signs - in Lewis county ;). Elk Rock viewpoint is open and there's some decent snow for kids' play. I heard they closed all roads on S side of Helens.

hike4beer

Post by hike4beer » April 14th, 2020, 8:53 am

I just cough loudly and incessantly and haven't had any trouble. :mrgreen:

It's sort of a variation of my usual bear country routine, but I cough instead of bellowing show tunes.

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » April 14th, 2020, 10:49 am

romann wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 8:21 pm
Agree these current measures are poorly planned. I rarely see other people on hikes - but now they want everyone to be in the same crowded places. Costco's and Walmart's parking lots in Vancouver are packed :roll:

A lot of outdoor stuff is still open. They said the coast in Clatsop county is mostly open (except for Seaside), only parking areas are closed. Some towns closed to access, like Cannon Beach and Manzanita. I drove on Lolo Pass Rd yesterday just to check it out, and there's no closures (only been to ~2,700' when I saw first snow on the shoulder - still too early to get to the Pass). Been to Salmon River Rd - it's closed just past 1st trailhead (total zoo), so I headed somewhere else. Trailheads are closed but trails are supposedly open in MHNF. And there's many backcountry destinations.

Now in St Helens area is totally different story. Road 504 is open (great for biking, the usual winter gate past Hummocks trailhead is locked) - but the 3 trailheads near Coldwater Lake are closed, and trails have additional closure signs..Skamania signs - in Lewis county ;). Elk Rock viewpoint is open and there's some decent snow for kids' play. I heard they closed all roads on S side of Helens.
Did you happen to go down or notice if Muddy Fork Road's gate is open yet?

romann

Post by romann » April 14th, 2020, 4:25 pm

No, didn't look at Muddy Fork Rd. I may head that way again in a few days, and will check it out.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 16th, 2020, 10:26 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 6:45 pm
...The highlight of the day was running into the legendary Mayhem at the junction of FL 4 and the Maple Trail...
dn
Limey wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 7:59 am
DN, nice to see you ran into Mayhem, hope he is doing well. Sure miss those looney TR's.
Yes, would have been great to run into Mayhem. Last time I saw him was at a Fred Meyer store, had a great chat with him.

I've avoided Forest Park during daytime for all of the reasons you all have described.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando