Archer Mountain loop on the last day of freedom (3/22/20)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Re: Archer Mountain loop on the last day of freedom (3/22/20)

Post by adamschneider » October 23rd, 2020, 11:21 pm

CraigG wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 7:24 pm
I thought the NAP (Natural Area Preserve) was the area immediately below Archer Falls.
Yeah, that's what I originally thought too, but it turns out the area around Cynthia Falls and the power lines is also off-limits. (There are no signs though, because every time they put them up, people destroy them.)

Currently, the only legal access to Archer Mountain is from the southwest.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » December 22nd, 2021, 7:38 am

This thread seems to be the latest trip report on Archer Mtn. I hiked to the top of Archer Mtn on the day of the 2021 winter solstice. There was mostly continuous snow above 1200 ft elevation. I used a Gaia GPS to guide me. I'll note a few surprises:

1. There is what appears to be a new way to get to Quiver Point. A few hundred feet east of Scott Point is a signed trail junction for Quiver Point. I didn't follow it but it probably more or less follows the 1600 ft contour. I saw two pairs of footprints going to Quiver point but none coming out. I would later learn how those people got back.

2. Gaia shows a trail bypassing the Archer Mtn peak trail by going north and approaching and then paralleling the Columbia Falls NAP boundary making a lollipop loop possible with Archer Mtn starting 1000 ft east of Scott Point. I couldn't find that trail probably due to the ice/snow on the ground. Does anybody know if that section of trail exists anymore?

3. Gaia shows a trail bypassing the signed summit trail to instead go directly to Arrow Point. My goal was to skip Archer Mtn (nothing to see there) and just visit Arrow Point. I blissfully followed this trail with occasional pink flags and discovered that this trail actually goes to Quiver Point from the uphill side. Quiver Point was not my goal but I did locate the hiker pairs' footprints leaving Quiver Point. The hikers must have made a loop of Quiver Point, which seemed like a good idea for future use. When I finally figured out I was half way to Quiver Point, I backtracked to search for the Arrow Point trail. It was probably hidden under the snow but I couldn't locate it. Does anybody know if that trail section exists anymore?

4. The only way I could figure to get to Arrow Point was from the top of Archer Mtn. I followed tracks in the snow from the top and then a few hundred feet past the point the tracks ended. I eventually abandoned trying to get to Arrow Point because of heavy rime ice made the steep trail really slippery. The ice was also causing branches to crash out of the trees. There were a few good reasons to leave.

This hiking area has always fascinated me but I never knew about the Archer Mtn trail that winds it's way up an impossible slope from the High Valley TH. I don't recall this trail when I first visited 25 years ago. When was this trail built? It seems relatively new (no apparent long term effects of erosion are visible).

Capture.JPG
GPS track with notations

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » December 22nd, 2021, 8:50 am

johnspeth wrote:
December 22nd, 2021, 7:38 am
2. Gaia shows a trail bypassing the Archer Mtn peak trail by going north and approaching and then paralleling the Columbia Falls NAP boundary making a lollipop loop possible with Archer Mtn starting 1000 ft east of Scott Point. I couldn't find that trail probably due to the ice/snow on the ground. Does anybody know if that section of trail exists anymore?
I forgot to mention that while I was searching for this trail junction I concluded the junction must have been what looks like a road along a flat portion of the forest. I believe the road serves as the trail here. I don't know anything about its' suitability for hiking.
johnspeth wrote:
This hiking area has always fascinated me but I never knew about the Archer Mtn trail that winds it's way up an impossible slope from the High Valley TH. I don't recall this trail when I first visited 25 years ago. When was this trail built? It seems relatively new (no apparent long term effects of erosion are visible).
Further research on OH tells me the trail was built in 2019, probably in response to the 2017 fire damage. Whoever built this new trail did a professional job!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 22nd, 2021, 10:49 am

I added the new Quiver Point trail to OSM this morning; there was just enough traffic on the Strava heatmap to be able to find its route.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 22nd, 2021, 12:57 pm

johnspeth wrote:
December 22nd, 2021, 8:50 am
johnspeth wrote:
I forgot to mention that while I was searching for this trail junction I concluded the junction must have been what looks like a road along a flat portion of the forest. I believe the road serves as the trail here. I don't know anything about its' suitability for hiking.
All the Archer trails shown on Gaia are there and accurate, (but the Gaia map is a little incomplete.) The loop from the old road to the summit is a little overgrown but not hard to follow. The road itself is a good route. You could easily miss the junctions in the snow. I hiked that loop a couple of months ago.

The route that heads out to Quiver following the 1600' contour is in good shape. The trail takes a hard left and heads up the ridge once you get to the start of the rocky spine that goes to the actual point. The last few hundred feet out the point is overgrown and has poison oak. The section back up the ridge to the main trail is overgrown in places but not too hard to follow.

Also, the trail that Gaia shows out to Arrow point is dangerous now that the brush and small trees have been burned. If you slip off that trail there's not much to stop you.

dn
Last edited by Don Nelsen on December 22nd, 2021, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

drm

Post by drm » December 22nd, 2021, 3:28 pm

Brad showed me a bunch of these trails a few weeks ago (when it was like 60 degrees in November, :lol: ). We did the longer loop, going past the "other" waterfall on the west, up the ridge, behind the main falls, including a side trail down to near them, and around on old roads to hook up with the area you are talking about.

One short section of the Archer Mtn Trail has a chain handrail, sort of like Eagle Creek, but it seemed kind of pointless. Maybe it gets slippery there when muddy?

Anyway, all these trails are on public land and in great conditions, but who is making them? Is this a project of some locals? I was told that they are not official Scenic Area trails.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 22nd, 2021, 5:24 pm

drm wrote:
December 22nd, 2021, 3:28 pm
Anyway, all these trails are on public land and in great conditions, but who is making them? Is this a project of some locals? I was told that they are not official Scenic Area trails.
Yes, apparently there's a group of locals calling themselves "Friends of Archer Mountain."

Remember that the larger loop and the area near Archer Falls is technically off limits. The NAP is closed to the public, in an effort to keep invasive plants out.

drm

Post by drm » December 23rd, 2021, 8:47 am

Remember that the larger loop and the area near Archer Falls is technically off limits. The NAP is closed to the public, in an effort to keep invasive plants out.
My understanding that this is the valley below Archer Falls, we didn't go there. We went left on a well maintained and signed trail that goes left from the road just above the parking (you go up and right to head up Archer Mtn). We never saw any signs indicating closure. Is there a map of the closed area?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 23rd, 2021, 10:58 am

drm wrote:
December 23rd, 2021, 8:47 am
My understanding that this is the valley below Archer Falls, we didn't go there.
That was my understanding too, until I emailed the DNR a couple of years ago and asked. I explained the situation at the top of this thread: viewtopic.php?t=26673

TL;DR: The entire preserve is closed to the public, but every time they put up signs, some jackass tears them down.

drm

Post by drm » December 23rd, 2021, 1:30 pm

Well, thanks for the update, and it's probably useful for it to be repeatedly posted here. Hopefully it will do a little good. But I hadn't followed the Archer Mountain posts in the past and so didn't know.

Scott Point is still an excellent destination with great views of the valley. I didn't make it the other way, towards Quiver Point, so I can go back and check that out some day.