MakoshikaStatePark - Montana - Sept2019

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arieshiker

MakoshikaStatePark - Montana - Sept2019

Post by arieshiker » March 27th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Since we’re low on local treks, and I didn’t do a TR (trip as opposed to trail) at the time of the event, I thought maybe some out-of-area reports might provide a few minutes distraction from the current chaos.

Last September I journeyed to far eastern Montana to check out Makoshika State Park, considered the largest of Montana’s State Parks. Imagine if Bryce Canyon and the Badlands had a baby. It is large, but much of it is extremely remote and trail-less, with off trail warned about quicksand, which is usually enough warning for me.

I drove the park road to all the accessible areas worthy of checking out, and came away disappointed about the vast area that couldn’t be explored without more preparation than I figured on putting in to the task. From the point farthest out with an overlook, you could see how much farther out things went, but.....probably not wise for a solo hiker without more gear than I had.

What I was able to hike to and explore more than made up for my disappointment, so my camera was in overdrive. I came away from a full day out there with over 300 images, about 200 of them keepers, at least 100 users for sharing, so what I’m sharing here is just a sample.

The park has a couple of campgrounds, and I had considered using one, but on the website it looked as if all the sites were filled, even though it was a week after Labor Day. Turns out when they have no comment, they're empty. Most sites were RV friendly, that’s usually understandable, but campgrounds that don’t have tent only areas bug me no end. People are coping with a virus, so my whines are meaningless. But I whine cause I can.

The park is just south of Glendive, you actually have to go through residential areaa to pick up the park road. Glendive is on I-94 just a few miles from the North Dakota line, not that much farther to Teddy Roosevelt National Park.

If you visit TRNP it’s nice but it also caters to the RV crowds including letting them take those behemoths out on the lone park road. Another of my whines. The older I get, the more I dislike those things.

Anyhow, all that aside, I’m attaching as many images as allowed, then I’ll post a second batch, after which if you get the urge - I consider it worth the trip. I went over there via eastern Idaho, up through the Wind River Indian Reservation, Buffalo, Wyoming, past Devil’s Tower and up past Ekalaka ,Montana, up to Glendive. That last part was moderately exciting as the road has only recently been creosoted (or whatever they use), and it hasn’t weathered particularly well. Excitement is where you find it. There is another smaller state park (Medicine Rocks) between Ekalaka and Glendive that is worth a stop if you have time. I didn’t.
Attachments
MakoshikaStatePark (80).JPG
MakoshikaStatePark (74).JPG
MakoshikaStatePark (47).JPG
MakoshikaStatePark (34).JPG
MakoshikaStatePark (25).JPG
MakoshikaStatePark (23).JPG
MakoshikaStatePark (8).JPG
MakoshikaStatePark (5).JPG
MakoshikaStatePark (1).JPG

retired jerry

Re: MakoshikaStatePark - Montana - Sept2019

Post by retired jerry » March 27th, 2020, 1:40 pm

thanks, haven't heard of it

is there drinking water?

arieshiker

Re: MakoshikaStatePark - Montana - Sept2019

Post by arieshiker » March 27th, 2020, 2:51 pm

In the campgrounds but none that I saw anyplace else There are random streams, most likely seasonal.