Green Point Mtn - amazing snow - 2/17/20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
MarkQ

Re: Green Point Mtn - amazing snow - 2/17/20

Post by MarkQ » February 18th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Epic pictures! Thanks for posting. I still check on this site every few days. I did this same hike a few weeks ago when it was snow free and it's quite the trek. Don't know if I could plow through all that snow now. It's good to see the "old timers" still posting here. I remember briefly running into you and ebishop years ago on top of Chinidere.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 18th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Glad I came back to see if pics are up.

I've yet to do that hike in summer. I want to see what it looks like bare.

Lots of time [edit: rime] on WA side Monday. Taking your advice, going back for more cold windy fun Wednesday. Tempting to repeat your trip, see if I can follow your tracks...but no, I have another itch that needs to be scratched.

I hate facebook! Thanks for the report.
Last edited by Chip Down on February 18th, 2020, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » February 18th, 2020, 4:21 pm

killer mannnnn! Thanks for postin'

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 18th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Great pics Nat!! Thanks.

I'm still here too and don't even have a FB account. This site's Field Guide is excellent and I often take a look at it to find info. When I had a FB account a few years ago it was impossible to find anything after a few days. Worthless, IMO.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 18th, 2020, 8:42 pm

MarkQ wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 3:56 pm
It's good to see the "old timers" still posting here. I remember briefly running into you and ebishop years ago on top of Chinidere.
Hey Mark, I remember running into you back then too! :)

I also am happy when I see "old timers" come back and post on here. Maybe what was needed was to imply people had gone to FB! That seems to have brought some people out of the woodwork. We need less lurking, more posting! (Looking at you, Robin! Post more stuff here!) ;)

For anyone considering getting out there, my postholing was the result of not having a real plan and bringing running gear. The snow was perfect for snowshoes, if only I'd had them with me. And Robin - this time last year was that epic snowpocalypse that blanketed the whole Gorge (wherein it took me 3 tries to get to the top of Defiance). There is not that much snow right now. What we currently have is a couple of feet of new powder on top of a compacted layer lower down, but the top stuff is very nice and dry, vs the wet muck we've had previously this winter.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » February 18th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Alright, Nat! Thanks for putting this up. Such nice looking conditions up there. The west Green Point and east Tomlike deep snow shortcuts have always looked so enticing.

You pulled a lot of us out of the woodwork to post with a little nudge. Nice to know many still check the forum and field guide regularly, yet just don't post like they used to (like myself). I'm not a FB user, either, so sites like this are probably going to be it. Like Karl said, more content brings more traffic, but with FB not in the equation, that has caused me to lurk more at NWhikers. Not much to post since I don't get out much these days...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 19th, 2020, 2:00 pm

There's one crucial difference between this forum and a Facebook page: the forum gets picked up by search engines. When you post a TR here, you're preserving it for posterity (for better or worse). But Facebook is ephemeral.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » February 19th, 2020, 4:44 pm

East coast check in. Facebook is lame. Keep posting here!

hike4beer

Post by hike4beer » February 19th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster...

FB stinks. This forum is a priceless resource and I hope that continues.

Friend and I were also up there Monday and it was spectacular. Thank you for breaking trail😃

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 19th, 2020, 7:26 pm

hike4beer wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 5:20 pm
Long time lurker, first time poster...

FB stinks. This forum is a priceless resource and I hope that continues.

Friend and I were also up there Monday and it was spectacular. Thank you for breaking trail😃
Oh, so you followed the fresh trail and then came here and found out who preceded you? What fun! I've done that a time or two.

Welcome to the board.

Two days later, a lot of the new snow is melting. I went a little higher today than Monday, but down around 2000-2500 it's going fast.