10/28/19 Flag Point Lookout Via High Prarie TH Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Solofemalehiker35

10/28/19 Flag Point Lookout Via High Prarie TH Loop

Post by Solofemalehiker35 » November 12th, 2019, 6:36 am

Monday 10/28/19 15.10 miles with 3325ft elevation gain before sunrise to sunset.

Hiked to Flag Point Lookout Tower Via High Prarie TH; smelly vaulted toilet at parking area, picnic area, room for 5 cars max, must have a NW Forrest Pass or America the beautiful pass or pay for a day pass in advance, Camp spots and extra parking nearby, if following Google maps it will take you to the wrong location. High prarie trail (lots of snow at higher elevations a foot maybe more, less in some areas, before lookout trail lots of foot traffic in snow, trail is in great condition. Wide easy trail).

To Lookout Mountain (lots of snow to Lookout Mountain, patchy snow on top lookout mountain, trail is maybe 2.5 miles round trip. Easy trail if just going to lookout mountain).

To Divide Trail #458 (steep, narrow, snowy, icy and rocky trail. I used my microspikes for this section just to be on the safe side. The trail is to your left coming down halfway from Lookout Mountain, to your right if going up. Sign for trail has been damaged. Squeaky trees. Overgrown in areas.).

To Flag Point Road (snowy for the most part, would recommend 4x4 vehicles as the terrain is rocky as well with ruts if driving up that road.).

To Flag Point Lookout (everything was closed up for the winter, but in the summer months it is open and there is a ranger on sight to show people around. You cannot go to the very top of lookout it is gated and locked. Vaulted bathroom is locked in winter as well as the gate at end of Flag Point Road is closed.).

To Badger Creek Cutoff trail #477... Decided to do this one mid hike as I did not want to do divide in the afternoon. (Follow the most obvious path. My Gaia app said that there was a continuous trail after the badger creek sign down a ways but I could not find the route in all the big blow downs. Lots of big blow downs in this area, can easily loose your path if you don't have a map of the area. Steep, rocky, obstacles on trail, some ice and snow patches. Squeaky trees. Some narrow marshy areas. Overgrown in areas.)

To Badger Creek Trail #479 (lots of big blow downs, squeaky trees. One log crossing creek, the other two have bridges. A camp area by creek? Other than that pretty mellow low elevation hike. Some snow patches. Overgrown in areas.).

To Gumjuwac trail #480 (make sure you have a map, easy to loose trail. Steep, rock, narrow, icy and snowy in some areas. Creek crossings. Lots of big blow downs on trail. Camp spot close to FR 3550 on trail before the final push to the road next to a small creek. Overgrown in areas.).

To Forrest Road 3550. Made a right when I went on the road. A sharp right puts you on the high Prarie loop trail. ( The road has several big blow downs. Icy and snowy parts. Icy cattle grade. Some good view camp spots. Rocky in areas. Road is steep, but a gradual climb and takes you right to High Prarie TH. Also great views of the area.).

Hiked Solo. First car in the High Prarie TH when I arrived at 4:45am and only car in the lot when I got back to the TH at 5:30pm. Didn't see anyone on the trails, nor on the roads to trails.
Attachments
IMG_20191028_074940.jpg
Divide trail
IMG_20191028_121026.jpg
Badger Creek Cutoff trail
IMG_20191028_141555.jpg
Badger creek trail
IMG_20191028_151331.jpg
Gumjuwac trail
IMG_20191028_164518.jpg
FR 3550
IMG_20191028_173320.jpg
High Prarie TH across road from parking area
IMG_20191029_031722_931.jpg
Sunrise on Divide trail
IMG_20191029_031834_042.jpg
Flag Point Lookout
IMG_20191029_032306_337.jpg
View of rock on Divide trail from Badger creek trail

retired jerry

Re: 10/28/19 Flag Point Lookout Via High Prarie TH Loop

Post by retired jerry » November 12th, 2019, 7:45 am

Thanks for the report and eightmile, underhill,... I haven't been there for several years. Must be time to re-visit.

"First car in the High Prarie TH when I arrived at 4:45am and only car in the lot when I got back to the TH at 5:30pm. Didn't see anyone on the trails, nor on the roads to trails."

Isn't winter nice!