McNeil Point the hard(er) way

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

McNeil Point the hard(er) way

Post by Chip Down » October 12th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Our field guide says McNeil Point is "difficult", so I guess my hike today would be "epic". :geek:

Dropped the car at Lolo Pass (PCT) and walked the road to McGee Creek Trailhead, but kept going past the TH and stayed on road until it reached the ridge crest, which means I was walking parallel to McGee Creek trail, but higher. At road end, I found the forest to be horribly brushy, mostly Rhodies, thick, tangled, miserable. I would have given up, except that I knew I wouldn't have to come back this way. I was teased with a nice open zone, brush free, just some logs to step over. Ahh, that was a nice stretch. But soon I was back into the brush. Much better though, easier than below. Snow was getting heavier, not just on the ground but also in the trees. Bushwhacking through snowy foliage is not recommended! I wasn't expecting that, didn't realize we got more snow again recently. Timberline Lodge cam yesterday made me think things were melting out.

As expected, I came upon the Timberline Trail, maybe about 4700', when it joined the ridgecrest. Followed TLT until the steep shortcut to McNeil Point. Ugh, what a horrible trail, poor scenery, steep enough to be a PITA but not steep enough to be fun. Was relieved to arrive at the shelter.

Continued up to the bench above the shelter, about 6400'. No point in going higher. Been there, done that. Dropped to the McNeil ponds, on my own route, pretty much direct. Fast, fun, but a little sketchy in spots (icy, and boulder fields were treacherous with just a few inches of snow). At the best spots, I was glissading through powder, like I was riding mini avalanches down the mountain (never enough snow for it to be really dangerous, just fun).

As expected, the ponds were frozen, but not snowy. I was almost certain that's how they would be. I knew it was cold enough for them to be frozen, and also was pretty sure there wasn't enough snow to cover them over. I don't think I've seen them in this state before, so that was neat.

It was still morning when I left the ponds (11:59). I had time to visit the top of Bald Mountain on the way home. Never been. A worthwhile side trip.

other parties: I must have been the first to McNeil Point today, unless somebody else took the CCW loop ahead of me. Above the shelter, it was virgin snow. On the way down, I passed a solo hiker at the ridgecrest viewpoints, and he was just the first of many. Interesting. It was pretty much what you'd expect to see if a couple dozen hikers had left the trailhead at the same time, and spread out on the trail due to fitness/detrmination. The typical question wasn't "how much farther", but "how's the snow up there". I was surprised at how many people I encountered on the PCT down to Lolo Pass. It's so much easier via Top Spur. I suspect many of them were just out for a stroll.

weather: At Lolo Pass when I started, I was surprised at how cool and breezy it was, but up high it was nice. Once I was finished with my bushwhacking, I didn't need a jacket again. There was some dripping snowmelt from the trees, but not too bad. At McNeil Point it was curiously warm and calm. Even sedentary, I was comfy wearing exactly what I'd wear on a summer hike. A few sprinkles at Lolo Pass on my return, consistent with forecast.
Attachments
1.jpg
Oct/Nov sky is so distinctive.
2.jpg
Some of those couloirs look promising, but my suspicion is they'd be boring after a while.
3.jpg
I'm not into birds, but had to take a portrait of this docile fellow.
4.jpg
Upper McNeil pond.
5.jpg
Lower McNeil pond.
6.jpg
What, right here and now, or in general?

retired jerry

Re: McNeil Point the hard(er) way

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2019, 4:58 am

yeah, hiking through Rhododendrons is a pain

hmmm, I might get one more trip up there before the snows, thanks for conditions update

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 13th, 2019, 7:03 am

I haven’t bagged Bald either. Thought I’d get it this year but was on a rush to get back. Maybe next year.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2019, 7:05 am

there's still time :)

I think I've been to Bald once

Nice views from it

The trail is really narrow and steep so if someone comes the other way it's hard to get around