New to the forum page . Lindsey Creek falls/camp Benson falls 10/7/19

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
a.kerr1993

New to the forum page . Lindsey Creek falls/camp Benson falls 10/7/19

Post by a.kerr1993 » October 12th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I moved to Portland OR from Connecticut in June 2016. I've always loved hiking and would go regularly in CT. Oregon hiker has been a big part of why I've been able to find my way around the PNW. So, I finally joined officially and I'd like to start with the short trip I made last Monday to Lindsey Creek falls and Camp Benson falls in the Columbia River gorge.

Both of these falls where easy to find and required very little bushwhacking. I parked a long the highway in a pull off that was described in a post from 2008. From there hiked on the power line maintenance road crossed the bike trail the reached the power line tower on the left side when you come out of the woods. From the tower I entered the forest again finding a old old old road eventually making my way down the the creek. A little more bushwacky but not bad. At one point I pushed through some brush and found some old bones!!! They look like they have been there for a long time and possibly a deer? Has anyone else seen these? They were at the base of cedar tree of I remember right.
MVIMG_20191007_103911.jpg
I made it to Lindsay Creek falls, beautiful little spot. I didn't notice very much fire damage in this area. Debris in the creek was quite bad. There is a two tire cascade after the second pool but it was completely cover over. Spent about and hour at the falls taking pictures and waterfall ogling. I actually saw a fish in the lower pool of the waterfall!
IMG_20191007_194722_182.jpg
MVIMG_20191007_113831.jpg
After I had my fill I decided to go find Camp Benson falls. Summit Creek falls was another option above camp Benson but I did go for it. So I retracted my steps to the tower and headed on the same road West to the other tower. Not really having a plan, I found sort of a view by the tower. I've seen there is a way to scramble up summit creek but i was already at camp Benson. It took some time finding a way to the base of the falls. It looks like one side of the creek was very very burned and the others was almost untouched. There wasn't too much debris at the base but there is a fallen tree that I think is there to stay. It was really nice to see the nurse stump at the base of the falls still having a very healthy tree growing from it. I spent about two hours soaking this one in.
20191007140103_IMG_6809.JPG
IMG_6826 (2).jpg
After that I was gonna call it a day but realized I was very close to the new section of the Columbia River bike trail and I had my longboard. So I ended up riding around on the trail for awhile. The views from the trail are very nice and you can soak them in because you aren't doing 70 mph :D I only took one photo of this little part of the trip. I was having too much fun in the new pavement!
MVIMG_20191007_160731.jpg
"We can discover the wonders of nature" -GD

retired jerry

Re: New to the forum page . Lindsey Creek falls/camp Benson falls 10/7/19

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2019, 5:02 am

welcome

thanks for the report, I got to use that new trail

bextrex

Post by bextrex » April 17th, 2022, 5:21 pm

Headed up Lindsey today following your directions and some beta from 2008 - per GPS I was still a bit downstream but ended up turning around at a massive log jam. Curious as to whether anyone’s been out to the falls more recently? The creek was fairly high and I didn’t see a feasible way around between deep fast-moving water, the canyon wall, and an entirely uprooted tree. Anyone?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 18th, 2022, 4:13 pm

I was at Lindsey Creek Falls in December 2020. It was short but pretty rough once you got down to creek level, but we made it. This report: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29429

I have no idea whether other trees have fallen since then. There's not even a vestige of a user route at the creek. Nobody does it anymore.