Mt. Hood Mooney Tarn 09-21-2019

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Re: Mt. Hood Mooney Tarn 09-21-2019

Post by adamschneider » September 24th, 2019, 4:35 pm

This was my route (full map here):
Mooney Tarn.jpg
The ridge we went down (between the west and middle branches of Compass Creek) wasn't fun, but it wasn't especially dangerous.

markesc

Post by markesc » September 24th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Rustygoat wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 2:37 pm
Nice pictures Chris! It was nice to meet you up at the tarn last Saturday. I am pretty sure you were more surprised than we were when you arrived. It was not my first trip up there, a few friends have been begging me to take them so that was our day. I am glad were were heading out so you could enjoy a little solitude up on the mountain. My partner has info on the plane wreck but is out of town at the moment. I will bug her when she gets back.
Yes it was really nice meeting everyone and certainly appreciated the good humor and company! Thank you for sharing your route strategies as well. I ended up going down and sticking with a single gully rather than going towards that waterfall you'd mentioned. Had a few moments of loose rock, but ended up coming down this thing:
IMG_8552.jpg
IMG_8550.jpg
I think it was maybe only 35-45 mins coming back down, def more enjoyable than the climb up the gully that's just to the west. In the future I think it would be a more enjoyable loop to go with Adamshneiders' loop as outlined as you can see the ellliot then drop down, so more photo opportunities and I remember that being a bit steadier in terms of incline.

Was nice seeing you all! Talk about a FUN group, let me know if you're heading out again and perhaps I'll crash the party! :lol: :lol: :lol:

markesc

Post by markesc » September 24th, 2019, 7:28 pm

adamschneider wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 4:35 pm
This was my route (full map here):

Mooney Tarn.jpg

The ridge we went down (between the west and middle branches of Compass Creek) wasn't fun, but it wasn't especially dangerous.
This is probably going to be the preferable route next time as I was looking down at the tarn from that ridge just over a week ago. Thank you for posting!