ZigZag Mtn trail/Cast lake 2019-08-18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
donpdonp

ZigZag Mtn trail/Cast lake 2019-08-18

Post by donpdonp » August 20th, 2019, 9:47 am

I had a wonderful time going up ZigZag Mtn trail #775.

I took transit from Portland all the way to Rhododendron. The MAX to the gresham transit center, the SAM to the Sandy transit center, and the Mt Hood Express to Rhododendron (it continues up to timberline lodge). It was an hour walking west from the general store where the bus lets out to the start of #775. The altitude change is from 1500ft to 3500ft before it levels off so its a lot of switchbacks and stopping to catch my breath. There are only a couple spots that are tolerably level to setup a tent so after 5 or 6 hours walking I setup camp for the night.

The second day saw elevation changes between 3500 and 4200 feet along the ridgeline and through the ZigZag mtn lookout. Continuing on to Cast Lake was a sight for sore eyes. There are at least 5 nice bare campsites and beautiful clear water. Noone else was there (a Sunday night) except for a black bear that walked down to splash in the water for a minute.

Lookout
zigzag-lkout.jpg
Cast lake from afar
castlake-far.jpg
The third day was setup to be a long walk to get back to the Rhododendron spot, taking the Burnt lake trail back to the road. Most of the Burnt Lake trail is more of a dirt road than a trail and someone gave me a lift the rest of the way.

markesc

Re: ZigZag Mtn trail/Cast lake 2019-08-18

Post by markesc » August 20th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Wow nice work! That's a climb!

Bears: I ran into one on the trail that runs from the horse camp up the ridge that eventually leads to E. Zig Zag several years ago. So that area must be the Mt. Hood Bear hangout as I think someone else posted years ago seeing Bears @ Paradise park. Still need me a good bear photo!!!