Wallowas Super Loop: 8/1/19-8/2/19

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Re: Wallowas Super Loop: 8/1/19-8/2/19

Post by drm » August 10th, 2019, 9:09 am

Some might get their exercise another way so take the tram up but I find that I need that part of a trip. So I wonder just how bad it would be to head up Aneroid Peak from the nearby lake in that loose stuff - at least with a daypack at that point. About how much EG in the loose stuff?

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » August 10th, 2019, 10:31 am

An excellent, interesting and highly informative trip report! Many thanks!! I'm very impressed with your navigation, Google Earth and hiking skills. When I did the "standard" Wallowa Loop last year, it seemed that there were hordes of day hikers and campers (few of whom had the "LNT" philosophy in mind) but otherwise, it was a fantastic hike...but not on par with yours! Very nice and thanks again for posting!

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 12th, 2019, 12:35 pm

drm wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 9:09 am
Some might get their exercise another way so take the tram up but I find that I need that part of a trip. So I wonder just how bad it would be to head up Aneroid Peak from the nearby lake in that loose stuff - at least with a daypack at that point. About how much EG in the loose stuff?
The route from the tram over to Aneroid is still quite the workout. An out of shape person would have difficulties.

Regarding going up from Dollar Pass, one time, shortly after beginning the descent from the top of Aneroid, I passed some people coming up, so it can and has been done in that direction. Total EG would be about 1280'. 300-500 of that EG would be in very steep, loose terrain, getting worse the closer you get to the top. Another 300-500' of EG below that is less steep and less loose, but still difficult. Either way, 100% fun.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

romann

Post by romann » August 13th, 2019, 7:08 am

Stunning loop, Brad - thanks for sharing and good maps. This is full vacation worth of views (and miles), in just 2 days. Last time at Wallowa Lake I didn't ride the tram, but now it's on my list - also good for getting up high early in the morning, with lesser chance of t-storms.