Backpacking the Lofoten Islands of Norway

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ghsmith76

Backpacking the Lofoten Islands of Norway

Post by ghsmith76 » July 25th, 2019, 8:14 pm

ImageMany years ago I saw photos of this amazingly beautiful place called the Lofoten Islands in Norway. I have recently returned from backpacking through this beautiful land and it was amazing. Here is my Trip Report: https://adventurecontinues.org/2019/07/ ... n-islands/
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

sgyoung

Re: Backpacking the Lofoten Islands of Norway

Post by sgyoung » July 26th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Wow. That is some amazing scenery. Thank you for calling my attention to this place. Norway has been on my list for a while, but only in a general sense without specific places in mind. I now have a specific place to see.

The peaks and some of the surroundings reminded me a bit of the Scottish highlands, which I just hiked in April (maybe I'll get a TR together). One apparent similarity is that despite having relatively low peaks (e.g. 2,000 - 3,000 footers), the terrain is still rugged and unambiguously mountainous. Maybe the absence of a tree-line and lingering snow make them look more impressive than tree-covered 3000 foot hills on the east coast.

I also poked around your blog and really enjoyed it. Amazing photos and good writing. I look forward to reading more entries.

drm

Post by drm » July 27th, 2019, 7:20 am

"It was difficult because the trails are laid out for the shortest path, as in, straight up a mountain, the concept of trail switchbacks does not exist."

While avoiding steep terrain is one reason for switchbacks, they also lower the erosion. Having a trail go straight up a hillside means it becomes a creek and then usually lots of erosion. At least in our mountains. Depends on whether there is solid rock right at the surface I guess.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » July 27th, 2019, 9:48 am

as in, straight up a mountain

Geez. Even game trails will often ascend/descend steep slopes on a slight traverse.

romann

Post by romann » July 30th, 2019, 5:47 pm

What did you do, now I have to add Norway to the bucket list :)

Spectacular views up there, I browsed around your blog as well, very entertaining. Thanks for sharing!