Old Baldy (west portion) - helipad? lookout? wha'?

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AaronPDX

Old Baldy (west portion) - helipad? lookout? wha'?

Post by AaronPDX » July 19th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Finally hiked the full west part of Old Baldy trail today and the weather was perfect and the mushrooms abundant and varied.

I have a question: why are there no noticeable remains of a lookout station that was supposedly decommissioned in the 60s? You'd think there'd be some visible evidence of it. ('Cause there's not much else reward for climbing that steep final portion, given that the trees prevent any view. Unless you want to have a campfire in the little fire pit.)

And then there's this talk of a helipad. Did I see it? Maybe. But the open flat area I saw was surrounded by tall trees that appear at least 60 years old, so I can't imagine a copter landing safely there. Can someone post a picture of the helipad spot?

Any links to historical pix (if they exist) of these landmarks would also be super cool.

Finally, anyone know the name of this fungus? Lots of 'em out there.
IMG_4691.JPG

RobFromRedland

Re: Old Baldy (west portion) - helipad? lookout? wha'?

Post by RobFromRedland » July 20th, 2019, 6:04 am

I've not heard of a helipad up there, but in looking at the legends on the old maps, Old Baldy was what was called a "Triangulation Station". I'm guessing that was not a fully staffed lookout, because they also show a "Permanent Lookout Station" (Salmon Butte was one), and a "Triangulation Station and Permanent Lookout Station" (Squaw Mountain was one).

It would be interesting to know what the differences between the various lookout types were.

I have not seen any photos of any structure up on old baldy, though.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 20th, 2019, 6:22 am

It must be that someone at a lookout station could measure the angle between a triangulation station and a fire.

Same with a second lookout station and you'd locate the position of the fire

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » July 20th, 2019, 9:59 am

Interesting stuff. Thanks, guys.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 20th, 2019, 11:35 am

AaronPDX wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Finally, anyone know the name of this fungus? Lots of 'em out there.
IMG_4691.JPG
Coral Fungus
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 21st, 2019, 3:17 pm

This is my go-to site for lookout info. If a peak doesn’t appear here, it probably didn’t have a lookout.

http://firelookout.com/or.html

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » July 21st, 2019, 4:55 pm

Good to know; thanks Waffle Stomper! And good to know, justpeachy. Will investigate that later.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 22nd, 2019, 11:33 am

It's been 20-25 years since I've done that hike, but I recall concrete steps, nails and melted glass fragments on the summit of nearby Squaw Mountain. I think that's where the lookout had been.