PCT between Frog Lake and Barlow Pass

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rcPDX

PCT between Frog Lake and Barlow Pass

Post by rcPDX » July 8th, 2008, 6:18 am

A small group of volunteers cleared the PCT between the Barlow Pass and Frog Lake trailheads on Sunday 7/6. Snow was about 6 weeks late in usual melt-out. I didn't make it down to the Twin Lakes or Palmeteer, so can't report on snow levels there but expect they'll be free of snow soon.

Trilliums were in bloom! In July!

Roberta

Stevefromdodge

Re: PCT between Frog Lake and Barlow Pass

Post by Stevefromdodge » July 8th, 2008, 6:57 am

Thanks for your work Roberta and welcome to the site!

lostman

Re: PCT between Frog Lake and Barlow Pass

Post by lostman » July 14th, 2008, 6:49 am

Yesterday (7/13/08) we had a wonderful hike from the Frog Lakes TH to Palmeteer Point via both Twin Lakes, looping back on the PCT. There were a couple of very small patches of snow near Lower Twin Lake and along the ridge on the PCT, but the trail itself is clear. In fact, a lot of the trail felt dry and dusty in the 80+ degree weather. There are a couple of small blowdowns on the rougher trail between Upper Twin Lake and Palmeteer Point, but I could manage them all easily with a baby on my back.

What a great trail! I can't believe we hadn't found this trail earlier. Very pretty lakes, wonderful views of Hood from a different angle, a bit of history, and very few people - we only saw two groups once we passed the upper lake. I'd take the extra 20 minutes of driving over Mirror Lake any day.

Thanks for the great job on the PCT, rcPDX! The trillium are gone, but bunchberry, vanilla leaf, rhodies, and lupine are starting, and Palmeteer Point is covered in yellow flowers (unknown to me) and even a few lilies.