Elk Meadows - Put your fires out!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Bosterson

Re: Elk Meadows - Put your fires out!

Post by Bosterson » June 27th, 2019, 10:00 pm

adamschneider wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 9:15 pm
anteater wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not... but are fires allowed at the campsites in Elk Meadows at all?
Fires are allowed at legal campsites around the periphery of Elk Meadows, but camping and fires are NOT allowed in the meadow itself, nor in the tree "islands."
Another answer: campfires are for campgrounds. Don't have campfires in the wilderness. Period. Times have changed. There's no justification for campfires and they've done enough damage already.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

jberry

Post by jberry » June 29th, 2019, 9:50 am

lalahikesnw wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 7:49 am
I had hoped to head up towards Gnarl Ridge, to check out the snow status, but didn't end up having the time. I was told by a group that the snow is consistent starting above the junction of the TT and Gnarl Ridge trail though.
Thanks for the report @lalahiksnw! Was there any snow on the trail up to/through Elk Meadows?

mountainkat

Post by mountainkat » June 30th, 2019, 11:04 am

Another answer: campfires are for campgrounds. Don't have campfires in the wilderness. Period. Times have changed. There's no justification for campfires and they've done enough damage already.
I completely agree with this and repetitively state it. Just no good reason for it these days and way too likely to result in a wildfire. I personally dislike seeing the campfire rings, burnt leftovers and seating that accompanies them. Definitely not in the spirit of leave no trace ethics for wilderness. Dispersed roadside car camps are not good places for fires, either. Campfires are best left to the official car campgrounds.

shirley_snh2004

Post by shirley_snh2004 » July 2nd, 2019, 12:57 pm

We did a family backpack (4 of us) a couple of years ago to Siouxon Creek. My adult sons love a fire & my older ds built a very nice, mesmerizing fire within a big rock circle. He & I stayed up quite late. Before we went to sleep, he emptied my full 4-liter Platypus reservoir container onto the fire to ensure that it was out entirely. Ds has worked fighting forest wildfires over a number of summers so knows exactly how to deal with fires. He wasn't chinzy about using all the water we had. We just had to pump some more in the morning.