Elk Meadows - Put your fires out!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
xrp

Re: Elk Meadows - Put your fires out!

Post by xrp » June 25th, 2019, 7:15 pm

lalahikesnw wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 7:49 am
So, if you camped at Elk Meadows Saturday night in the first large spot on the meadow when you come around counter clockwise - you're welcome for handling that for you. And be responsible next time.
My backpacking companion and I passed by them around 6pm Saturday night. I don’t remember a fire at the time. Maybe we should start snapping pictures w/faces of people with active camp fires, just in case they end up becoming the next Eagle Creek pyromaniacs...

We ended up camping around the 10 o’clock position.

Thanks for putting out that group’s fire!

lalahikesnw

Post by lalahikesnw » June 27th, 2019, 11:05 am

retired jerry wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 5:24 am
yeah

what about putting a fire out at night before you go to bed?

I often let it go, at least if fire hazard isn't bad in which case I likely wouldn't have a fire at all

I know someone who always puts the fire out completely. We joke about it. He's probably right :)

I kind of like watching the fire die out as I go to sleep.
I agree, watching it die out is relaxing. I usually still completely put it out before bed though. But that also is because of one time, when I was backpacking with a group, and they told me "yeah we put the fire out" when I came back from getting water. Went to bed, trusting them, 30 minutes later WHOOSH! I sit up and the fire had been whipped back up. They were maybe 10 feet away and slept through me yelling s*!T! and rushing to put it out.

I also have a cabin in the Sierra's and have seen people (at the campground across from our cabin) leave fires going. Just...walk away from their campsite...in California...where everything is begging to catch fire.

lalahikesnw

Post by lalahikesnw » June 27th, 2019, 11:08 am

xrp wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 7:15 pm
lalahikesnw wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 7:49 am
So, if you camped at Elk Meadows Saturday night in the first large spot on the meadow when you come around counter clockwise - you're welcome for handling that for you. And be responsible next time.
My backpacking companion and I passed by them around 6pm Saturday night. I don’t remember a fire at the time. Maybe we should start snapping pictures w/faces of people with active camp fires, just in case they end up becoming the next Eagle Creek pyromaniacs...

We ended up camping around the 10 o’clock position.

Thanks for putting out that group’s fire!
Snapping pictures might be going too far, but I'm not saying I'm against it haha.

lalahikesnw

Post by lalahikesnw » June 27th, 2019, 11:12 am

drm wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:52 pm
I've had this plan of hiking up a snowy Gnarl Ridge trail, expecting that on the exposed ridge above Lamberson Butte, there would be spectacular melted out spots, with water available from the nearby snow. Sounds like the time is about right for that.
I think so, the group I ran into said there was a pretty solid boot path through the snow, but to have yak tracks or similar.

Cat Mom

Post by Cat Mom » June 27th, 2019, 1:49 pm

How were the mosquitoes during your trip? I've never camped at Elk Meadows, can they get really bad there? Hoping to sneak in a trip this weekend before the July swarms come in.

Also, thank you for posting, grrr careless people are infuriating!

anteater

Post by anteater » June 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not... but are fires allowed at the campsites in Elk Meadows at all?

xrp

Post by xrp » June 27th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Cat Mom wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 1:49 pm
How were the mosquitoes during your trip? I've never camped at Elk Meadows, can they get really bad there? Hoping to sneak in a trip this weekend before the July swarms come in.

Also, thank you for posting, grrr careless people are infuriating!
Practically no mosquitoes last weekend. For me, from Tamanawas Falls TH to Elk Meadows (overnight) and back, I saw two mosquitoes. Neither were biting.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 27th, 2019, 9:15 pm

anteater wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not... but are fires allowed at the campsites in Elk Meadows at all?
Fires are allowed at legal campsites around the periphery of Elk Meadows, but camping and fires are NOT allowed in the meadow itself, nor in the tree "islands."

anne37

Post by anne37 » June 27th, 2019, 9:17 pm

That's infuriating. Thanks for handling it, Adam!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 27th, 2019, 9:24 pm

anne37 wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 9:17 pm
That's infuriating. Thanks for handling it, Adam!
I dint do nothin'. Thank "lala."