Cabot Lake Trail, June 21, 2019

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Aimless

Cabot Lake Trail, June 21, 2019

Post by Aimless » June 22nd, 2019, 9:49 pm

On Friday I hiked part of the Cabot Lake trail, on the east side of Mt. Jefferson wilderness, before driving home. It's a well known trail, so this is more in the way of a brief snow level report, with a few photos, than a full trail report.

I drove in from the north on Road 1280, which is in very poor shape, narrow, rocky, and water-rutted. I drove slowly in a 1997 Subaru and made it through OK. On the trail the worst burned area covers the first 1.5 miles. The snowbrush was happy. The birds sang nonstop. The turn for Cabot Lake has a new sign, not directing you to the lake, but citing fire restrictions. I was able to hike another mile and a half up past Cabot Lake, on up to the first large pond, at about the 3.5 mile mark from the trailhead. There were a few snow patches in the quarter mile prior to the pond, and the first really sizeable snow patches across the trail started immediately as you leave the pond. I heard a hermit thrush up there. I ate lunch and hiked back down. I drove out on Road 1230, which is much better than 1280.

The trail:
DSCF2091.JPG
DSCF2085.JPG
The pond:
DSCF2086.JPG
A view of Mt. Jefferson:
DSCF2087.JPG
The Subaru:
DSCF2092.JPG

kelkev

Re: Cabot Lake Trail, June 21, 2019

Post by kelkev » June 23rd, 2019, 11:55 am

Beautiful area! Last time I was at Carl Lake was in early July a few years ago, and lots of snow drifts around the lake. As well as lots of hungry mosquitoes....
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir