Early Timberline Trail Attempt

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
OregonSurveyor

Re: Early Timberline Trail Attempt

Post by OregonSurveyor » June 26th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Yes, we had about a dozen people on the canyon rescue. So lots of help to carry in ropes and equipment.
Someone mentioned having not seen the rescue in the news. I would roughly estimate only 10% of our calls get into the news media. Oregon sheriffs log about 1100 SAR calls a year. Our team PNWSAR gets in on about 65 of these; primarily in Clackamas County, or more generally within ~150 miles of Portland.
We have a great group. If anyone is interested in more info PM me or take a look at PNWSAR.org
PS Was at Zigzag Canyon/PCT Sunday, very little snow on trail. Was on Vista Ridge Trail yesterday (Monday) snow begins to cover parts of the trail at 5500’.
Jerry King
Oregon Land Surveyor (Retired)
SAR Volunteer - CSAR (Clackamas County Sheriff)

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » June 27th, 2019, 4:17 pm

anteater wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 11:11 am
Would you say its relatively clear of snow and safe to hike from Timberline to Paradise Park?
The trail to Paradise Park may still have a couple of snow hills on the trail, but not bad.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » February 11th, 2020, 8:30 am

2020 Update: This year's Timberline Trail Trek is scheduled for July 6-10
GHSMITH76

mjirving

Post by mjirving » February 12th, 2020, 9:24 pm

My anecdotal method of determining the earliest time that the trail is reasonably doable (though not snow free) was 7/6/18 and 7/7/19, so if snow is similar this spring Is say that’s a reasonable early date (IMHO)

Mike

FeldsX

Post by FeldsX » June 15th, 2020, 8:17 am

I am planning an early July trip to Timberline Trail as well this year. According to weather archives, it looks like we should expect 68F Highs and 45 Lows. I suppose that could vary depending on elevation as well and plan for the worst.

I will be flying into PDX and have been thinking about logistics. Any suggestions on methods to get to the trail head? I had initially planned to Uber to and from but have been seriously considering renting a car instead amid the current Covid situation.

Also, since they do not allow liquid/solid fuel on the plane, where do all the out-of-towners go to stock up for the trail?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 15th, 2020, 9:08 am

since this is page three I don't need to repeat that there's still a lot of snow up there. Hard to find trail. Places where it's steeply angled and depending on daily temperatures might be solid ice. Stream crossings can have high flow.

Normally, I'd say park at Timberline Lodge. I don't know if they allow overnight parking in covid times

There was a trip report for someone that parked at Ramona Falls trailhead

brave of you to fly on airplane in covid times. You might have a backup plan for what you'd do if you came down with symptoms.

Normally, you can take public transportation to Timberline Lodge. I don't know if covid has changed this.

Probably rental car is a better idea - no one to infect you. I don't know if uber is affected by covid.

If there's too much snow, you could park at Ramona Falls trailhead, hike up and if at some point you decided there was too much snow, do some sort of loop down Zigzag trail. Ramona Falls to Paradise Park. back down Paradise Park trail to Zigzag trail. Down to Burnt Lake or Cast Creek trail or Horseshoe trail, back to your car a couple miles on the road.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 15th, 2020, 12:03 pm

oh, you can get stuff from REI but last I saw they were closed due to covid

maybe contact them, order, in store pickup on the way between airport and Mt Hood. They do in store pickups even if they're closed to walk in

FeldsX

Post by FeldsX » June 15th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond Jerry!

I will probably postpone the trip until later in the year. It sounds pretty inconvenient to go at this time. Crossing my fingers for September.

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » June 15th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Thanks for replying Jerry
I would agree with your assessment. I will be doing the Timberline Trail on July 6th. Next week I will be in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness focussing on fishing.
GHSMITH76

kvanfleet

Post by kvanfleet » June 24th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Hello, Where can i find weather information for this hike? What would you say the snow level was at? thanks!