Silverstar Goat Surprise

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Re: Silverstar Goat Surprise

Post by adamschneider » June 4th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Chip Down wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 8:43 pm
The big feather in my cap is the two times I saw a goat on Dog Mountain, of all places.
That's quite a feather, if you ask me. They can't get any farther south than Dog Mountain!

Unless....
BoG.jpg
BoG.jpg (28.54 KiB) Viewed 1787 times

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 5th, 2019, 3:45 pm

A number of years ago, (I can't really count how many now) up in the northern part of the Olympics, I had a goat follow me across an open meadow, then up towards the crest of the ridge. It was so close, that at one point I could have touched it's head. Those little horns look really sharp when they're that close!
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2019, 5:31 pm

the Enchantments are like that - goat pests

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 5th, 2019, 6:20 pm

dmthomas49 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 3:30 pm
...had a funny encounter with a goat. There were 4 young guys ... We looked back and saw this goat really close to them and they did not notice the goat was there. We decided to walk back to the other side and get some photos.
Rats. You had me convinced I would see pics of a millennial going over a cliff for reasons other than a selfie. :lol:

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » June 5th, 2019, 8:16 pm

texasbb wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 6:20 pm
dmthomas49 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 3:30 pm
...had a funny encounter with a goat. There were 4 young guys ... We looked back and saw this goat really close to them and they did not notice the goat was there. We decided to walk back to the other side and get some photos.
Rats. You had me convinced I would see pics of a millennial going over a cliff for reasons other than a selfie. :lol:
Funny that you mention that. The 4 millennials had me take their picture standing on the edge of the cliff. I said "Don't step back, I don't want to be part of a photo fall story!" :o
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

JustSomeHiker

Post by JustSomeHiker » June 6th, 2019, 6:40 am

adamschneider wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 4:10 pm
I suspect the Silver Star Goat is all by himself, as no one has ever seen more than one up there. He must be lonely...
In fall of 2017 I was on Silver Star and encountered an adult goat and it's kid. No idea if they migrated there together from elsewhere, or if the 3rd member of their family was somewhere nearby unseen, but there are least 2 of them trampling around on the slopes up there.