West Zigzag Trail 789, and a couple side trips

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

West Zigzag Trail 789, and a couple side trips

Post by Chip Down » May 4th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Previously, I've seen both ends of West Zigzag trail 789, but that's all. Rectified that today. Steeper than expected. A little hard to follow in the snow. I was starting to wonder if I'd make it to the ZZ Mtn Trail, but every time the trail was a little hard to follow, I soon found my way again.

At the ZZ Mtn Trail, I turned west/left, and soon found the lookout site, which had been under snow on my previous visit, so I wasn't sure where it was. Turned out it's 20 feet from The ZZ Slot!

Continued on the ZZ Mtn Trail to a high point where the trail crosses over the north ridge of West ZZ Mtn. Offtrail, I followed the ridge down. It's very well defined, and I thought it might be fun to follow it a ways. It was far too brushy, so I aborted, but I did bag a fun rocky peak on the way back.

Back on the ZZ Mtn Trail, I returned east, past the West Zigzag Trail junction, and found that the trail soon became difficult to follow as the snow deepened. I followed a ridge, not realizing the trail was veering away from the ridge. That worked out well, as it took me to an offtrail viewpoint that was better than anything the trail had to offer. That was a satisfying end to a hike, so I turned back and retraced my steps back down to my car.

In spite of the perfect weather, I saw no other parties. I didn't even see any footprints.
Attachments
1.jpg
The peak on the north ridge of west Zigzag mtn
2.jpg
getting close to the top
3.jpg
If I were to continue North, that would be my goal. No thanks.
4.jpg
They say the bottom of the ZZ slot is littered with the corpses of hikers who got a little too close in their quest for the best pic.
5.jpg
6.jpg
Bonus noname viewpoint. Across the valley is Horseshoe Ridge.
7.jpg
An unexpected view of the north ridge of West ZZ Mtn
Capture.JPG

Bosterson

Re: West Zigzag Trail 789, and a couple side trips

Post by Bosterson » May 5th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Go big or go home. Congrats again on not falling off a cliff. :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased