North Lake (almost) from Wyeth via 400/Herman/Casey/Eaton/Gorton

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

North Lake (almost) from Wyeth via 400/Herman/Casey/Eaton/Gorton

Post by Chip Down » April 20th, 2019, 10:40 pm

With the fire damage and snow, this felt like an off-trail hike, but it was almost entirely on trail, except a ridge parallel to a trail.

Went higher up Herman Creek than I have before, but just barely. A little north of the Casey Creek trail junction I followed an enticing ridge up through a grassy oak band and continued up towards an expected bare spot around 2400', then kept going until the Casey Creek trail crosses over the ridge (but I didn't see it) and continued until I met the ridge that runs parallel to Camp Creek on the south side.

At Eaton ridge I headed up the crest until it ended at Gorton Creek Trail, which I followed up to the junction at 4240'. I was here a few weeks ago, and it's still impossible to follow trails past this point. I figured by now there would be a good boot track through the snow, but nope. Even down on Eaton there really wasn't any sign of traffic, maybe a very faint footprint on occasion.

I headed east and then followed the edge of the plateau, above North Lake, until I saw a good place to drop in. Steep but not scary steep. Well, that took me to a bench, and below that it plunged down a steeper brushy slope. No thanks. Traversing south didn't look promising. Maybe could have traversed north to a gentler gully, but I wondered if I'd be able to follow the trail from North Lake to Wyeth. I've only done it once, in summer. Wasn't thrilled at the prospect of finding some longer way to the lake, only to have to climb back out later. Defeated, I climbed back to the plateau and followed the rim south, to a high point at 4640, with a partial view of Rainy Lake, I presume.

On the way back down, I continued north past the point where I reached the rim, following the approximate alignment of Trail 418, in hopes of reaching Wyeth Trail. But the ridge faded, and things got brushy, and still no sign of the trail, so turned back. I had to be close to the trail I would have tried to take down if I had made it to North Lake.

Okay, so back down Gorton Creek trail to the Eaton junction, where I decided to take a shot at descending Gorton instead of retracing my steps on Eaton. Immediately, I spotted footprints on Gorton, one set, ascending. The fact that they went straight to the Eaton junction made me think they were GPSing. Sadly, when the footprints hit a big bare spot, there was no trail. I wasn't going to follow off-trail footprints, so went looking for my own route. Gave up, struggled to find my way back, got confused, running in circles. With enough patient analysis, I figured it out and got back to Eaton.

Followed Eaton back to where I gained the crest at 4000', and then veered right to stay on trail. The trail is melted out now, but what a mess. It's obliterated almost down to the Deadwood junction. Because it essentially follows a ridgecrest, you can't really get lost, but this can't be considered a trail hike at this point.

Departing Eaton, I took the ridge cutoff trail to take me back to Gorton trail, now much lower and bare, meeting it right about at the Indian Point trail. I've always hated descending Gorton from IP, but today wasn't so bad. Great weather, flowers, new views thanks to the fire. Still, I eventually tired of it and dropped north until I hit the 400 trail, which I took back east.

Did you follow all that? :?

Other parties: None!

Weather: Started out misty/cloudy/drippy, but I never got more than a little soggy. Finally, as predicted, things cleared up, maybe mid afternoon.
Attachments
1.jpg
The first oak/grass band on my ascent ridge parallel to Casey Creek.
2.jpg
A little higher on my ridge.
3.jpg
Looking north at some of the terrain I've explored in recent weeks.
4.jpg
Clearing at the second oak/gress band, 2400'.
5.jpg
Nick Eaton ridge, around 4000'.
6.jpg
North Lake and Mt Defiance.
7.jpg
Rainy Lake (?) from my high point.
8.jpg
Is that yellow X the saddle where Gorton trail turns west towards Indian Point? This is where I gave up trying to find the trail.
9.jpg
Trees behind me are burned, allowing late afternoon sun to spill through in bars.
Last edited by Chip Down on April 20th, 2019, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Re: North Lake (almost) from Wyeth via 400/Herman/Casey/Eaton/Gorton

Post by Chip Down » April 20th, 2019, 10:41 pm

The manmade stuff:
Attachments
mm1.JPG
mm2.jpg
the little bit of Casey Creek Trail I encountered.
mm3.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 21st, 2019, 4:58 am

"new views thanks to the fire"

We need more fires to get rid of these annoying trees blocking our view :)

All these Herman Creek reports has me eager to get up there for a few nights. I wish there was a better place to park my car without fear of break-in

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 22nd, 2019, 9:34 am

You didn't keep going to Green Point? Seems like you were almost there. What's the snow depth like up there? I was on the WA side yesterday and it looks like things are pretty melted below 4000 ft.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 22nd, 2019, 5:43 pm

Bosterson wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 9:34 am
You didn't keep going to Green Point? Seems like you were almost there. What's the snow depth like up there? I was on the WA side yesterday and it looks like things are pretty melted below 4000 ft.
Dammit! Had heard of it, but never been. Yeah, I was super close. By the time I turned back, I was tired of following that rim, and was looking for some distinctive place to stop. When I hit a high point, I called it a day. I guess I'll have to go back, right? I'll wait a bit though, just so things will look a little different.

I don't know about snow depth. For the most part, I was on top (it was firm), so I didn't really care if I had 6" or 20" under my feet. But I'd guess it was around 12"-18" up on the gorton plateau. My ascent from Herman Creek to Eaton Ridge was completely bare. On Eaton around 4000' it was snowy only on the east slope up to the crest. By the end of Eaton trail, where it meets Gorton, it was full coverage. The only place it was uncomfortably deep was on my aborted descent to North Lake, and some other random places where I plunged through on occasion.

Jerry, I've only suffered two car break-ins, but one was at Herman TH.