Lyle Cherry Orchard

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Lyle Cherry Orchard

Post by Chip Down » March 17th, 2019, 1:29 pm

With a little too much snow in most parts of the gorge, I needed a low-elevation plan. Coyote Wall and Catherine Creek could be fun, but if I'm driving that far, might as well go a few more miles and check out Lyle Cherry Orchard.

As the field guide states, the westbound Convict Road (first junction above the trailhead, westbound) was a little sketchy in a couple places, but not too bad. It was frosty in spots, but fortunately not enough to coat the rocks in the must-not-fall zones. The road was nice, historic and scenic, better than expected. The fun ended very abruptly as I came face-to-face with Lyle. I curved up and north, caught faint trails that took me to a charming series of benches and tiers, where I explored every worthwhile viewpoint on my way back east, then back up and west for more fun, then straight up the steep grassy slopes above Lyle, until I hit the twin (parallel) powerline roads.

Continued up/north from the powerlines, to a snowy well-defined ridge, which I followed east, parallel to the powerlines, ascending to a well-defined but mostly-viewless high point (sparse deciduous forest). Very satisfying, sensible place to stop (had to, really, no where else to go).

Dropped south to the powerlines, where I found myself at a saddle, as expected.

Continued south, up from the saddle, postholing in spots, up a faint suggestion of a road, to a summit. What now? All new to me. I now realize I was on Gene Dr (per Google) or Ridgetop Road (per fieldguide). But I sure wasn't going to follow a road. Boring. Weighed options, picked a direction, went down/south, almost immediately spotted a flag, then another, a faint trail(?), down to a frozen pond, then a real trail skirting its far (south) side, no need for flagging any more. Could go east or west. I decided on east. Followed the undulating trail through a boring snowy forest until I hit a road. Confused. In desperation, did something I hate to do: consulted a map. Realized I was at the start of the orchard loop. Followed faint roadbeds, posts, flagging, any clue I could find. Found the trail network was (as is so often the case) more complicated than the fieldguide or maps would suggest. Poked around, explored, finally had my fill, felt like I had seen the best parts, dropped south towards the river a bit, explored west, turned back and returned to the pond. Continuing west, I laughed when I discovered the pond was just a minute away from views down towards my morning fun zone.

Odd that I encountered just a few faint footprints on the loop. I suppose most people go to the start of the loop and turn back, perhaps tired of trudging through the snow. The only other hikers I met on trail were stopped at the pond, perhaps turning back or perhaps continuing east. Oh, and I passed a dozen or more grunting sweating gasping WTA volunteers laboring to improve the trail in the switchback zone.

It was slightly difficult to reconstruct my route, but looking at maps/photos and thinking things through, I'm able to figure out where my feet took me. Would be fun to go back again and see how it all looks without snow, but it's a bit of a drive. Maybe someday.

I was disappointed at the lack of snow down low. I actually went prepared for anything (mtn boots, crampons, two axes, rope) but in retrospect it wasn't a total loss. I realize if it had been snowy at the start, I never would have been able to do what I did, without snowshoes anyway.

Pics are chronological. This area is pretty well documented, so I'm focusing on places I didn't see in my quick review of google image search results.
Attachments
0.jpg
Finally, some snow. This is further west than most hikers go, just grassy hills at this point.
1.jpg
My high point north of the powerline saddle, looking west down my ridgecrest route.
2.jpg
The frozen pond where I found the trail.
3.jpg
The homestead clearing, Oregon in the distance.
4.jpg
SW of homestead. Was tempted to drop down. Wish I had, but I didn't know for sure how my time budget was.
5.jpg
6.jpg
I wonder if that will survive "the big one".
7.jpg
8.jpg
Hmm, there's a theme developing.
9.jpg
A popular place for photos, but I like the OR vs WA perspective (snow).
Last edited by Chip Down on March 17th, 2019, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Re: Lyle Cherry Orchard

Post by Chip Down » March 17th, 2019, 1:32 pm

...and the manmade stuff. Not pictured: lots of fences, many USGS benchmarks, several anchors (one looked like a climbing anchor perhaps, others were utilitarian), old abandoned utility posts, jugs of herbicide.
Attachments
m1.jpg
"LYLE"
m2.jpg
m3.jpg

ebishop

Post by ebishop » March 19th, 2019, 5:31 pm

You brought cherries to the orchard! I approve of your beer puns. Well-played.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 19th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Chip Down wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 1:32 pm
...several anchors (one looked like a climbing anchor perhaps, others were utilitarian)
There's a climbing anchor in the Lyle Cherry Orchard? Did you get a picture of it?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 22nd, 2019, 6:10 pm

ebishop: Thanks, glad somebody appreciated my whimsy. :D I had 5 to choose from, but decided to go with cans.

Bosterson: Although I answered in a PM, I want to post here too, so it doesn't look like I'm ignoring the question. There was no hanger, so on further reflection maybe it wasn't a climbing anchor. Hangers are cheap, so wouldn't normally be scavenged/salvaged.
Attachments
20190316_073125.jpg