Redaction Point and Arrowhead Falls

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Redaction Point and Arrowhead Falls

Post by retired jerry » March 4th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Okay, I googled it - "columbia gorge redaction point"

First it gave me a bunch of crown point references and "missing redaction"

I clicked on "must include redaction"

It gave me some Bonneville Dam legal documents with portions redacted

and this thread (which is what I assumed would happen)

I'll have to now find some way else to entertainment myself. "The Bachelor" is on now :)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 5th, 2019, 12:15 am

Thuja wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 7:14 pm
Otherwise I have no option but to assume this post is to point out who is or isn't part of the "old boy's club."
There is no "old boys club" here - this forum is mostly dead after everyone left for Facebook! However, it is a good place to post a TR for future reminiscences, and to share your adventures with a smaller group of friends and like-minded travelers if you're not Facebook inclined. (#Russia) I'm sure if you don't recognize this area and are curious, if you PM Chip he'll tell you where it is. But this forum is too easily indexed by Google to name some of the more off the beaten path spots nowadays. It's why many of us off trail folk stopped posting off trail TRs here. But I would probably resort to a similar misinformation naming tactic if I needed a way to share certain trips with friends here. (The Ridge of America TR was a great example of this.) That said, the forum is for everyone to post whatever they want, for whomever they want, and it doesn't seem like intentions need clarifying here or for any other trip report. Everyone is free to post, read, or ignore whatever they like. Otherwise, I would propose immediately banning as irrelevant all TRs involving Forest Park, balsam root, children, Angel's Rest, or links to one's blog. :D
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » March 5th, 2019, 4:43 am

Bosterson wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 12:15 am
There is no "old boys club" here ... ("REDACTED" FOR BREVITY)
I'm not sure what good posting is if it can't be truthful and accurate. How would Chip tell you or I about his hike face to face? Accurately or with obfuscation? In the end Chip told a story about a secret place the bulk of which is noise. I don't see the point.

My sleuthing has convinced me that:
  • The pictures are real
  • The names used were made up by Chip
  • It's in Washington somewhere near Bonneville or perhaps east of it
That's my contribution to solving the puzzle. Would anyone else like to add to it?
Last edited by johnspeth on March 5th, 2019, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » March 5th, 2019, 5:35 am

johnspeth wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 4:43 am
My sluething has convinced me that:
  • The pictures are real
  • The names used were made up by Chip
  • It's in Washington somewhere near Bonneville or perhaps east of it
That's my contribution to solving the puzzle. Would anyone else like to add to it?
I think I found it using Google Earth. The lat/lon coordinate is 45.618913/-122.120974. Google Maps names the area "St Cloud". It's the west wall of the Archer Creek canyon of Archer Mtn fame. The waterfall is Gable Falls on Gable Creek, downhill and west of the hikers' end of the ridge. Roads probably plowed that come near it are Kellett and Duncan Creek roads from above and Sneider-Banks and Smith-Cripe roads from below. The roads from below require crossing under the power lines. There appears to be lots of private land all around. It's in the Columbia Falls Natural Area Preserve which is technically off limits. Details and map in this post.

Did I win?
Last edited by johnspeth on March 5th, 2019, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 5th, 2019, 6:22 am

is that enough detail in linkable form that will result in it being over-run?

You really need a link to an arrow on a map, posted on instagram or something

The name "Redaction Point" is sort of an invitation for sleuths to figure it out. Maybe a better name would be "Boring Point" :)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 5th, 2019, 9:42 am

johnspeth wrote:
Bosterson wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 12:15 am
There is no "old boys club" here ... ("REDACTED" FOR BREVITY)
What was the point of quoting my post? And why is it " 'redacted' for brevity?" There is no reason to be snide. I didn't write the TR that appears to have so offended you; I was merely noting that there is no TR police here, and my comment wasn't even in response to anything you'd written.
johnspeth wrote:
That's my contribution to solving the puzzle.
It appears you are petulantly seeing a "puzzle" where there were only photographs of snow and made up names. You don't have to like it (or agree with it? though agreement wasn't something that was being requested, as far as I can tell); again, there is no TR police here.
johnspeth wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 5:35 am
Did I win?
I think we all lost. Enjoy your outrage.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 5th, 2019, 10:56 am

I don't have a problem with Chip stirring the mix a little and using a little obscure humor (It could get frustrating if it happened too often, but it doesn't). "Redaction Point" is indeed the east west ridge of Archer Mountain above High Valley. What people should know, whether they wish to respect that or not, is that it is off limits as per Washington DNR although the signs at the location have repeatedly been removed.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 5th, 2019, 11:55 am

is it bird habitat? is that why use is restricted? year round?

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » March 5th, 2019, 2:15 pm

retired jerry wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 11:55 am
is it bird habitat? is that why use is restricted? year round?
The answers can be found in this post in quotes by Carlo Abbruzzese.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » March 6th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Thank's to Adam's post, I believe Chip's "Redaction Point" is what Roy Stout referred to as "Arrow Point" back int he 90s when he led hikes to this vista in the 1990s.