Hamilton Mt., Monday, Feb. 25th

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Hamilton Mt., Monday, Feb. 25th

Post by retired jerry » March 2nd, 2019, 6:55 am

stationery bike

that's what a Physical Therapist told me, seems to be helpful

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 2nd, 2019, 10:08 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 8:27 pm
Chip: I made it out to the end and also have looked at that cleft from the bottom. I'm not sure if it could be scaled, but am willing to go check it out again. Maybe that's good opportunity to meet and do a hike?
Actually, I too have seen it from below, and I now remember that it's way above my skill level. I'd like to drop in from above, but there's no anchor. I suppose one could set a picket in these conditions.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » March 3rd, 2019, 3:39 pm

So, I did it Saturday. Windy and cold day (30mph & 25 deg on the top)! Thanks for setting such a good track all the way up there!
Actually, I was surprised by the number of people making it to the top. There was a trail runner who started out the same time I did. He had on a light nylon jacket & thin little shorts. We met again just below the view point. His legs were beet red, and he was making time going down, even though it was pretty slippery on those steps.
The clouds were very strange, because of the strong east wind blowing. The appearance was that of smoke from a big fire off to the east. Even looking west, there was haze hanging over the river.
Hamilton_Mtn-Winter-1.jpg
IMG_4614.JPG
Looking east
IMG_4617.JPG
Looking west
Last edited by K.Wagner on March 4th, 2019, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 3rd, 2019, 8:15 pm

K.Wagner wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 3:39 pm
Actually, I was surprised by the number of people making it to the top. There was a trail runner who started out the same time I did. He had on a light nylon jacket & thin little shorts. We met again just below the view point. His legs were beet red, and he was making time going down, even though it was pretty slippery on those steps.
When I went up the east ridge in Feb (a couple years ago) I was surprised to find a packed trail at the top. And a runner. Said his time was 49 minutes, I think.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 6th, 2019, 6:07 pm

retired jerry wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 6:55 am
stationery bike

that's what a Physical Therapist told me, seems to be helpful
She hasn't tried that but lots of other things: She does all sorts of stretches, takes a yoga class every week and spends an hour or more each day with weights. Pound-for-pound (103 vs 175) she's probably stronger than I am and tougher than nails. She used to run marathons and has never been "out of shape". She was dropped by an inattentive belayer about fifteen years ago and that's the crux of the problem. We've been to three different docs just this past year and all said there's no way they would replace her knee: She's simply able to do so much more than the folks they usually see. Trouble is, she's in constant pain whenever she is standing or walking. Nothing touches the pain that doesn't space her out and that's not acceptable for her.

Thanks for the comment, though.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 7th, 2019, 6:25 am

sorry, unsolicited advice :)

maybe CBD?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 7th, 2019, 9:24 am

retired jerry wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 6:25 am
sorry, unsolicited advice :)

maybe CBD?
No worries. Hmm, might be worth a try.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller