Defiance/Starvation waterfall loop, winter edition

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Defiance/Starvation waterfall loop, winter edition

Post by Chip Down » February 17th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Had a hard time finding a place to go hiking today in the gorge. Roads are nicely plowed, but few spots to park. Ended up at Starvation TH. Worked my way up to the Starvation Ridge VP at the powerline crossing, mostly offtrail. Snow was extremely deep/soft. At times I was swimming.

After a short break at Starvation Ridge, I dropped directly to Cabin creek, then up towards the crest of Cabin Creek Ridge. Gave up on my route, it was just too deep. Dropped to packed trail and continued west. Crossing Warren creek was a bit tricky. Then on to the crest of Warren Ridge. From there it was all downhill.

Lots of people out today. There were even footprints going up Cabin Creek Ridge.

Snow depth on HCRH near Starvation is 12".
Attachments
0.jpg
1.jpg
Approaching Starvation ridgecrest.
2.jpg
Looking west from Starvation ridgecrest.
3.jpg
Starvation ridgecrest.
4.jpg
West side of Cabin Creek Ridge.
5.jpg
The Warren Creek diversion.
6.jpg
Silly elaborete bridge over a little creek. (HCRH)
7.jpg
Hole in the Wall Falls.
8.jpg
So many relics near HitW Falls. Saw this for the first time today.
9.jpg
Amazing.

Bosterson

Re: Defiance/Starvation waterfall loop, winter edition

Post by Bosterson » February 18th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Ah so yours were presumably the tracks I saw 1) going "illegally" uphill east of the actual closed Starvation Cutoff, and 2) going up the slope of Starvation to the ridge crest via the "direct." I walked to Hole in the Wall and went up that way to circle back to Starvation, but the "trail" is gone where it turns the corner east at Cabin Creek Ridge (snow slump over death cliff), so it looks like people have gone up to Cabin Creek Ridge and then traversed over, unless those were your footprints as well. I decided it would take way too long to get from there over to Starvation in order to make a loop of things, so backtracked to the Defiance trail, which I should have just gone up in the first place since I was already over there (but, loops). TR forthcoming.

You didn't continue up Starvation Ridge? I thought that would be quite sporting in the snow. God there is a lot of snow out there...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 18th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Bosterson wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 8:06 pm
going "illegally" uphill east of the actual closed Starvation Cutoff
Is that a leftover closure from the Eagle Creek Fire?

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 18th, 2019, 10:27 pm

adamschneider wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 10:23 pm
Bosterson wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 8:06 pm
going "illegally" uphill east of the actual closed Starvation Cutoff
Is that a leftover closure from the Eagle Creek Fire?
No, a landslide took out the trail about 100 ft up from the bike path. Based on how scoured back it is, I expect it will actually be kind of a challenge to fix, and I can't imagine this is near the top of their priorities list... That said, I've heard that it's easy to cross the slide zone. ;)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 19th, 2019, 5:22 am

When you saw those footprints ascending east of the slide, surely you must have thought "looks like Chip has been here" :D

I thought the track was a bit too high going over Cabin Creek Ridge (just from memory), but I had no choice but to follow it. Without snowshoes, I had to go with the crowd. I was laughing at my struggle to wade over to the "trail" when I finally gave up on the east side of Cabin Creek Ridge, occasionally sinking up to my waist. There was one lone track a little lower, just before crest, but the main path was a little easier to follow, I assume.

I was surprised at the traffic going up Starvation on the ridgecrest above the tower viewpoint. I had no desire to follow. Cabin Creek Ridge was more tempting, but where would I turn back? Better not to get sucked in.

I was also surprised at the traffic headed west, past Lancaster Falls, to Defiance. Went part way, thinking I'd cut off at the old log staircase and drop down to the Lindsey area, but the snowy slog under the power lines got to me, and I dropped early.

Looking forward to your TR, but can't get started on that, need to get off to work. I took a quick peek, looks interesting.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 19th, 2019, 11:00 am

Chip,

Thanks for the TR and the pics. Nice job! I admire your ability to wade through deep snow and your adventurous spirit.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller