Winter Hike at Magness Memorial Tree Farm - 12/21/2018

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
tennisref

Winter Hike at Magness Memorial Tree Farm - 12/21/2018

Post by tennisref » December 26th, 2018, 6:31 pm

I was lucky enough to start my holiday weekend early, with a hike out to Magness Tree Farm. I got extra lucky with a nice, not-quite rainy type of day, and a bit warmer temperatures.

There’s a lovely drive down Ladd Hill Road to the tree farm, which you come upon rather abruptly, but there’s a good turn around spot not much farther down the road.

Currently leashed dogs are welcome to the trails, but there was a sign warning pet parents to keep their dogs under control and picked up after, else they will have to ban our four legged companions.
IMG_2298.JPG
I decided to follow the route described above. Trail condition was great, but to be expected in a more urban environment. The wood chip trails weren’t muddy at all, which was a surprise after all the rain we’ve had recently.
IMG_2338.JPG
However, I was quite disappointed to see an invasion of english holly bushes in a “demonstration forest”.
IMG_2317.JPG
I was even more disappointed to come across a clear cut, just outside of the property line.
IMG_2314.JPG
Soon, I came to the stand of Arbutus trees. I’m currently obsessed with these broad-leafed evergreen beauties.
IMG_2324.JPG
Seems that the tree farm enlisted some help to clear the underbrush of filbert trees, but forgot to come back for the rest of the slash piles, which were covered with tarps. I imagine there is more work to be done, as many trees were marked with different colors of plastic flagging tape.
IMG_2319.JPG
Upon reaching the paved trail, I decided to alter my route and took a right back towards the parking lot and the junction with the Heater Grove Trail. The picnic lawn area was beautifully eerie, with the light mist and not another soul around.

I headed down the muddy Heater Grove Trail, but was met with a makeshift fence and “No Tresspassing” sign. The landowner has decided to close the trail to the grove.
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2372.JPG
IMG_2374.JPG
As my pup was shivering, I decided not to cut my hike even shorter, just finishing up the second half of the paved loop trail and heading home.
IMG_E2345.JPG
*Sorry about the rotated pictures. I will have to try to fix them next time courtesy of help from BurnsideBob's reply to the 'Elk Medows by way of Polollie Creek TH' trip report
Peace, Love & Happiness
~tennisref

retired jerry

Re: Winter Hike at Magness Memorial Tree Farm - 12/21/2018

Post by retired jerry » December 26th, 2018, 6:38 pm

nice report, I haven't been there

I wonder why they put black plastic over slash piles. I've seen that before. Maybe they want them to dry out, then they'll burn them?

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 26th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Thanks for the report! I've always wanted to check that place out and never have.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » December 27th, 2018, 5:45 am

retired jerry wrote:
December 26th, 2018, 6:38 pm
I wonder why they put black plastic over slash piles. I've seen that before. Maybe they want them to dry out, then they'll burn them?
Me too. A good answer is at: https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/945 ... 11309.html

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 27th, 2018, 6:30 am

thanks, interesting, yes, the black plastic is to dry it out so they can burn it

they also said there is a trend towards just leaving the "slash" on the ground and letting it decompose to nourish the next crop of trees

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 27th, 2018, 6:37 am

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/ has a bunch of information on a multitude of subjects. Including trail construction.