Bridal Veil Plateau is different now

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Lurch

Re: Bridal Veil Plateau is different now

Post by Lurch » December 13th, 2018, 8:23 am

If you're talking about the eastern side of that loop in the map, there was quite a bit of work done on it, at least in terms of a dozer line pushed through during the fire. We've just always colloquially called that the 'clearcut road' since there was an old cut down there, and it's just slowly faded away.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 17th, 2019, 2:47 pm

arlohike wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 2:21 pm
an excavator was sitting there, next to a dirt and stone barricade that had been built across Palmer Mill heading west. The road beyond the barricade was thoroughly torn up and covered with trees and branches.

This doesn't seem like a fire control project. In that case, I think you'd want to keep these lanes clear, not fill them with flammable material... If there's an ecological goal, I appreciate that, but it's bittersweet to have some of my favorite routes reopened after the fire, only to find that others have been deliberately wiped out.
Resurrecting quite an old thread I know, but I came across this while doing some searches trying to get a picture in my head of old roads in that area, and which are still practical to walk. I can at least provide probably more info than you wanted to know about the aggressive decommissioning of that bit of Palmer Mill Rd.

The proposal:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/n ... 274822.pdf

The congratulatory announcement of completion in the most recent newsletter:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 641755.pdf (page 2)

Though I am still left a bit confused, since the proposal specifically says the intention is to leave the area accessible for dispersed, non-motorized recreation [albeit difficult access], but the Scene article says, "Please help protect the new fish habitat by staying out of the recently restored floodplain."

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 18th, 2019, 5:13 am

Thanks

They said they're decommissioning 0.75 mile of road that's in the riparian zone. Road is failing so sediment gets into creek.

That sounds like a reasonable project to me. They used to make a lot of roads without taking fish into account.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » December 10th, 2019, 12:32 am

squidvicious wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 2:47 pm
I came across this while doing some searches trying to get a picture in my head of old roads in that area, and which are still practical to walk. I can at least provide probably more info than you wanted to know about the aggressive decommissioning of that bit of Palmer Mill Rd.
Thanks for the info! That explains Palmer Mill Road, but it doesn't sound like the various decommissioned roads north of there were part of that project.

I wonder if they plan to pull more of those old cars, washing machines, etc. out of the creek banks, because that's probably not good for fish, either.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)