12.3.18 Return To The Gorge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
weathercrazy

12.3.18 Return To The Gorge

Post by weathercrazy » December 3rd, 2018, 7:10 pm

Much like a lot of people, I had to get out and see the gorge close up.

A little emotional in a couple areas. Particularly what I call the Wahkeena Amphitheater, the trail right after the Devils Rest Junction, and the Multnomah Creek area.

A lot of destruction, but as you can see a lot of new life too! I first started hiking this trail when I was 17. It’s forever changed but I can’t wait to see what lies ahead.

Here's a gallery link to pictures from today's hike up Wahkeena and down Multnomah. As much as I like landscape photography, today's pictures were focused on documentation of the fire's path through the area. I hope to use these on future visits to compare.

It won't let me insert photos, is anyone else having that problem?

https://www.naturespixpdx.com/Landscape ... /i-cGZ5zPL

arlohike

Re: 12.3.18 Return To The Gorge

Post by arlohike » December 18th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Great photos. I love that spot where the Wahkeena, Devil's Rest and Vista Point trails all come together, and you look up the hillside at all those tall, straight trees. Then you climb up Devil's Rest Trail and look down at the spot you just were and maybe see some other hikers who look like ants down there. :D
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Splintercat

Re: 12.3.18 Return To The Gorge

Post by Splintercat » December 19th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Nice photos, Tyler! I still haven't hiked the loop since it reopened, but last spring I worked on the Larch Mtn Trail between Weisendanger Falls and the (then) destroyed bridge just beyond the Wahkeena junction, so I'm anxious to see how things are settling down.

Not sure what's up with attaching photos -- there were some early kinks with the new forum software, but I thought those were ironed out. If you post something in the Forum Support area, Martell will likely see it and can probably help out. Thanks!

Tom :-)