East Zigzag Mtn loop: Burnt up, Cast down

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

East Zigzag Mtn loop: Burnt up, Cast down

Post by Chip Down » December 2nd, 2018, 8:33 pm

The Burnt Lake trail (north end, the trail that actually goes to Burnt Lake) was every bit as charming as I remembered it. Even better with a dusting of fresh snow.

I was disappointed to see so many footprints, fresh, maybe from yesterday, with about an inch of new overnight. When Burnt Lake Trail hit ZZ Mtn Trail, they went left/east towards Hood. I was happy to be breaking trail in virgin snow, no sign of any footprints at all.

Approaching the top of East Zigzag, it started snowing. Persisted for maybe 3-4 hours, but very light.

Dropped down the west side of EZZ, took a side trip to Cast Lake, returned to ZZ Mtn Trail, started back the way I came, but then decided to do a loop, down the Cast Creek trail. I was a little nervous about following an unknown trail in the snow, but I knew after a brief ascent to the high point of the trail, it would descend fast. I figured if I could follow the trail for an hour, the snow should get thin enough that it would be easy to follow. Sure enough, no problems. Horrible trail though. Other than the high point just north of the ZZ Mtn junction, there were no views. Too gentle of a grade, with long switchbacks. This isn't a trail I can recommend. Still, it was better than retracing my steps back to EZZ and Burnt Lake.

Never saw Hood from EZZ. Or from much of anywhere else, for that matter. Pretty cloudy. Kept looking like it might clear, but never did except a few blue spots that didn't persist.

No wind to speak of, and it was cool enough that I didn't get bombarded by slush bombs slipping off trees in the afternoon. All in all, quite a pleasant day. Main gripe: never a dry place to sit all day.

Google says I walked about 15 miles today, + maybe a couple more just poking around. Felt like more than that. Tiring day, what with the snow and short time between sunrise/sunset.
Attachments
1.jpg
Burnt Lake
2.jpg
Looking down on Burnt Lake, Hood slightly visible in distance.
3.jpg
This is where it started snowing. Almost to the top of East Zigzag on the east route.
4.jpg
Looking up the east side of EZZ. That last bit took a lot out of me.
5.jpg
Looking down the west side of EZZ.
6.jpg
Cast Lake. Disappointing scenery.
7.jpg
High point on Cast Creek trail, the only scenic part of that trail. From here I caught a glimpse of Hood's summit, but just for a few seconds.
8.jpg
Left to right: Ho, Ho, Ho.

retired jerry

Re: East Zigzag Mtn loop: Burnt up, Cast down

Post by retired jerry » December 3rd, 2018, 6:03 am

"I was disappointed to see so many footprints, fresh, maybe from yesterday, with about an inch of new overnight. "

That's what we call the "Chip effect" - they all read your previous trip report :)

How deep was the snow?

Yeah, Cast Lake and Cast Creek trail don't have a lot of views. The gentle grade is okay by me. You still end up with the same total elevation gain.

Next you can work in the Horseshoe Ridge trail. It doesn't have a lot of views either, but there are several places. Or take Zigzag trail towards Mt Hood, several places with nice views.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » December 3rd, 2018, 12:42 pm

I was thinking this report could have been entitled "Returning to the Scene of the Crime" after your last mis-step on Zig Zag mountain.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 3rd, 2018, 7:09 pm

retired jerry wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:03 am
How deep was the snow?
About the same as the previous weekend. I was surprised, expected more. Less than two feet at top of EZZ. To Burnt Lake I don't think it was ever much more than 6".
retired jerry wrote:
Yeah, Cast Lake and Cast Creek trail don't have a lot of views. The gentle grade is okay by me. You still end up with the same total elevation gain.
I forgot to mention, there's too much up-and-down. It's more work than the net elevation would lead you to expect.
retired jerry wrote:
Next you can work in the Horseshoe Ridge trail. It doesn't have a lot of views either, but there are several places. Or take Zigzag trail towards Mt Hood, several places with nice views.
Have I done that already? I thought I had explored all over in the ZZ Diamond, but none of my recent explorations brought back any memories. I remember specific trails/roads/lakes that I can't reconcile with what I see on maps or my recent hikes. Maybe I'm thinking of a different network. Anyway, yeah, Horseshoe, but chances are it will be buried deep by the time I get to it.
BigBear wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 12:42 pm
I was thinking this report could have been entitled "Returning to the Scene of the Crime" after your last mis-step on Zig Zag mountain.
Ha, yeah. I posted an update in that TR too.

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » December 7th, 2018, 6:40 am

Good selection of Christmas Cheer “Ho Ho Ho”
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org