Tillamook Head Trail from Seaside

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ghsmith76

Tillamook Head Trail from Seaside

Post by ghsmith76 » November 13th, 2018, 10:05 am

A great backpacking trip in November when the weather is nice is the Tillamook Head Trail through Ecola State Park. I went on this trip with Brook and my new friend, Judd Beck, whom I met on my Timberline Trail trip in September. We arrived at the Seaside Trailhead to find that there was no overnight parking so you need to park back down the road about .2 miles in a small turnout. The plan was to overnight in the Hikers Camp which is 4 miles in and about 1200 vertical.

We got a late start which meant we would probably arrive in the dark but we would get some sunset views.

The hike is a nice workout but very doable for a day hike as well. We assumed that we would have the Hikers Camp which consists of 3 log cabins and support facilities made for an extremely comfortable night especially with the strong wind from the east.

The cabins have 4 bunks with plenty of space and a nice tarp door cover. No issues at all with rodents. The evening was a bit exciting due to a large tree falling about 20 yards from our cabin. It sounded like gun fire as the trunk broke into splinters. Brook again slept outside somewhere in the area keeping watch on Judd and I.

The next day we hiked down to the viewpoint of the Tillamook Head Lighthouse.

On the way you pass an old WWII Bunker that has stimulated a number of questions about why it was built there.
The bunker was part of a radar station that kept a lookout for enemy aircraft. In fact, this reinforced structure held up the gigantic antennae, which were about 30 feet tall. We did not attempt to enter the bunker. Hiking back to our car on a beautiful almost 60 degree day made for an excellent trip.

Full Blog Post Trip Report: https://adventurecontinues.org/2018/11/ ... easide-th/
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

retired jerry

Re: Tillamook Head Trail from Seaside

Post by retired jerry » November 13th, 2018, 11:45 am

no one else camping there?

nice in the winter to avoid the weather

ghsmith76

Re: Tillamook Head Trail from Seaside

Post by ghsmith76 » November 18th, 2018, 4:59 am

Got to the Hikers Camp at dusk and nobody was there. Most hikers only go in to the first view spot less then 2 miles in. I sense that it is not perceived as a backpacking trail maybe because the trailhead does not allow overnight parking.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org