Coldwater Lake Nov 2018

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dfs1109

Coldwater Lake Nov 2018

Post by dfs1109 » November 8th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Beautiful hike with lots of wildlife. Started at Coldwater lake on trail 211 and went clockwise around the lake. Once on the other side of the lake and up the steep ridge, I turned left onto the Coldwater Tr 230 in efforts to link up with the Boundary Tr and camp at Margaret Camp. Around 4600 ft in elevation I was walking through 2 inches of snow and my legs didn't seem like they were up to the challenge today (its been a while since Ive carried 30 lbs). Still continuing to push forward I continued for another 2 miles and it was there I noticed a cougar below running away from in the open! After watching it disappear in the direction I was heading (around Coldwater Peak) I decided to call it a day. Figured Id pushed my luck enough for one day. I backed tracked to the 211 trail with cramping thighs and turned left onto the 230A South Coldwater Tr and followed it to the highway and then up the closed 504 hwy another mile back to the car. Full day of hiking at least and I survived my first cougar sighting!

GPS link below. Shows exactly where I saw the cougar and decided to turn around.
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/spatial ... &maptype=H

Coldwater Lake

Clouds hovering over the peak of Coldwater (to the right of center).

On the 230A trail heading back.

Elk

Walking back on hwy 504.

Happy Trailing!
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

K.Wagner

Re: Coldwater Lake Nov 2018

Post by K.Wagner » November 9th, 2018, 9:57 am

I love your first picture, across Coldwater Lake, with Minnie Peak so clear and sporting some snow!

I knew that the snow level had dropped down, but am a little surprised at how much you ran into. This may change my plans for this Saturday.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 9th, 2018, 10:31 am

Great pictures. I didn't realize there were golden larches at Coldwater Lake! That area is really lovely with the dusting of new snow. :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 10th, 2018, 11:33 am

Great time of the year and weather conditions to be up there! An added bonus to scare off a cougar!
Bosterson wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 10:31 am
I didn't realize there were golden larches at Coldwater Lake!

The "larches" are actually cottonwoods, I think.