Error? in "Silver Star Mountain via Sturgeon Rock Loop Hike"

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Whateverthing

Error? in "Silver Star Mountain via Sturgeon Rock Loop Hike"

Post by Whateverthing » October 15th, 2018, 10:02 am

Hi! (First post here, I think.) Just yesterday I hiked the Sturgeon Rock/Silver Star Mtn loop from Grouse Vista trailhead. On my ascent, I did get a bit confused as I hiked through the recent timber cut area above Rock Creek (and constantly wanted to curse-out the timber co. for all the destruction), but managed to find enough clues most of the way. It was harder to identify the trail in the clear-cut areas, but not impossible. And I had to cross major gravel logging roads a couple times. I had to make up a trail to get up-to and across the logging road at {45.743241, -122.265781}.

But aside from the timber activity, I'm *pretty* sure there's an error in the official hike description. I believe I was in the right place, the junction of Tarbell Trail and "the eroded jeep track" (L-1200A on Google Maps). I saw a sign post with no sign, which I guessed may have been the "Hidden Falls 2 miles" sign referenced in the directions. The key is, the directions say: "Go left and uphill on the eroded jeep track, which is rather steep and rocky." That should be a RIGHT turn to go east (not left).

I ended up not getting to the ridgecrest of Sturgeon Rock. The "steep trail" in that area was not clear to see, and very much a hand-over-hand steep rock climb. I lost confidence and came back down to the jeep track. But ultimately, I did summit Silver Star (my first time). It was mostly clear so the view was incredible in every direction. It was also incredibly windy on the exposed final trail and peak. I wish I had a way to measure wind speed, but I'm sure it was at least 50-70 mph. Came back down the Pyramid Rock side. Didn't have the energy to attempt that side-trip.

Fantastic experience as always -- memorable, exhausting, rewarding, satisfying.
=Karl=

adamschneider

Re: Error? in "Silver Star Mountain via Sturgeon Rock Loop Hike"

Post by adamschneider » October 15th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I fixed the erroneous "left."

The easiest way to the top of Sturgeon Rock is the track in the clearing at 45.74668,-122.25322. That route isn't very steep at all.

Whateverthing

Post by Whateverthing » October 15th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Thanks Adam. According to my GPS track, I took the right turnoff toward Sturgeon Rock, but drifted south of the path. I wish I could have a do-over and figure out what I did wrong to miss that trail.

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 6th, 2018, 7:16 am

The trail through the clearcut that used to be the Grouse Vista trail is completely unrecognizable. There is a new road that switchbacks around the slope and several loading landings w/ steep sides that make the "trail" much more difficult in spots. There was a few spots where new sections of trail will need to be established to continue on the Tarbell, as the edge of the trail is mere inches from steep dropoff down to the new logging road about 10-20' below. Of course they aren't finished destroying that area, and more than likely it will continue to be ravaged, but i hope the trail will be re-established, maybe it will be forest again in 50-75 years.
Attachments
20180811_142841.jpg
20180811_142532.jpg
20180811_144423.jpg
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 6th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Sweet clearcuts! I was really getting sick of seeing all those trees in that area. Glad to see the nature is getting some much needed improvements! :roll:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased