Thru Hiking the Enchantments (with larches) - Sept. 28-30

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Thru Hiking the Enchantments (with larches) - Sept. 28-30

Post by retired jerry » October 8th, 2018, 1:35 pm

" Prone to quite a bit of hyperbole."

I forget exactly what he said but he thought it was a crime to go from Colchuck, you got to go the long way from Snow Creek

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 8th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Thanks everyone! Yea: I think going up over Aasgard, rambling around the core, then going back down Aasgard would probably be a somewhat more scenic trip. But I like it both ways, and we had a couple people with us who weren't all that comfortable with down-scrambling, so we took the easy way out.
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 11:57 am
You have to take some of the text in the Manning/Spring guides with a humongous grain of salt. Prone to quite a bit of hyperbole. Spring took the pictures, Manning wrote the trail descriptions. I think Harvey was a bit of a grouch. Liked to get on his soap box from time to time as well. And yet, I still prefer them by a wide margin to the current iteration of the 100 Hikes series.
I love the grouchiness and grandstanding of those old books! I have a low tolerance for people making things seem more difficult than they are, but, if that's the price I have to pay for Manning's excellent rants about motorcycles, wilderness boundaries, and trails maintenance, I'll take it.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » October 8th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Wow, fantastic trip report! You have excellent writing and storytelling skills.

The larches there look phenomenal. The only thing keeping me from having done them yet is the permitting process and the distance from PDX. Plus, I'd rather my first trip through there be in fall, and for that, will have to wait to get out of college first, haha.

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 11:57 am
You have to take some of the text in the Manning/Spring guides with a humongous grain of salt. Prone to quite a bit of hyperbole.
RobinB wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 1:48 pm
I love the grouchiness and grandstanding of those old books! I have a low tolerance for people making things seem more difficult than they are, but, if that's the price I have to pay for Manning's excellent rants about motorcycles, wilderness boundaries, and trails maintenance, I'll take it.
I've always enjoyed that part about the series, too. Love Manning's rants, opinionated descriptions, and advice, heh..., especially love his rants about motorcycles, logging, crowding, "multiple abuse," wilderness, etc, too. I particularly remember his descriptions of the Gifford, how once it was a sea of endless forest before all that crazy clear cutting that occurred in the 80s. Kind of makes me wish I could go back in time to see what it looked like before.
- Previously ElementalFX

romann

Post by romann » October 8th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Great story and writing, makes me feel like being there. Some epic pictures, too; also surprised the larches turned in September - you got to see the gold and camped in still relatively warm conditions. Someday I need to plan and just take that long drive, to see it all in person.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 9th, 2018, 5:16 am

Stunning pics. Great report. That’s an area I have yet to get to. Tried to get a permit once. Need to get there.

Mike

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 9th, 2018, 10:16 am

Thanks again, all! I really appreciate the kind words.
mjirving wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 5:16 am
That’s an area I have yet to get to. Tried to get a permit once. Need to get there.
Given what you're capable of, a thru hike of the thing - or just the out and back up Aasgard and into the core - should be more than possible in a day, if / when permits don't work out.

Titogoeshiking3

Post by Titogoeshiking3 » October 9th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Wow, really nice photography. Thanks for sharing.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 15th, 2018, 10:01 pm

RobinB wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 12:29 pm
We spend the night in a sort of creepy Airbnb in Wenatchee—the bottom of some dude’s swanky house
Probably not what you were expecting someone to comment on, but whatever, why was this "sort of creepy?"

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 25th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Webfoot wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 10:01 pm
RobinB wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 12:29 pm
We spend the night in a sort of creepy Airbnb in Wenatchee—the bottom of some dude’s swanky house
Probably not what you were expecting someone to comment on, but whatever, why was this "sort of creepy?"
Ha! You know, I'm not sure exactly. It might just be me, but I find that Airbnb works most comfortably when the accommodations are sort of impersonal. With this place, it felt like the owners had just vaguely cleared out a few things for the night, while still leaving a good deal of personal stuff around. Because of that, it felt a bit too intimate.