High Wallowas, July 11-14, 2018

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
texasbb

Re: High Wallowas, July 11-14, 2018

Post by texasbb » September 28th, 2018, 6:25 am

Webfoot wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 1:03 am
This discussion probably brings more search engine attention than the original post. (What better way to find "secret" places than to search for people arguing about digital LNT!)
^This.

drm

Post by drm » September 28th, 2018, 7:02 am

I run into links for this site a lot when I do general searches for this region, so don't think OH.org is so small. If a report is here and somebody searches for it, it will come up.

Although cross-country trips of this nature are now physically beyond me, when I do any off-trail trips I rarely report on them. I suppose the ones I do would be a lot easier for people to follow, but my general theory is that if you want to do lots of off-trail you shouldn't need detailed beta, just general guidance.

Oh - and fantastic trip. It had all the elements: route, wildlife, scenery, etc.

kordnish

Post by kordnish » September 28th, 2018, 8:32 am

Bosterson wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 8:00 pm
Do you feel like the part of the ridge that you bypassed the first night would be no trouble if you'd had time before dark?
My brother took this picture when he went up and looked at it:

I think I would be a scramble for sure. As I said in the post we would have attempted it if we had more time. That top bit looks like it could force you into some real exposure. Beyond this section the ridge looked very good again until almost Echo Lake.
Webfoot wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 1:03 am
I dissent on "digital LNT" regarding the tree. I would rather have read the unabridged narrative.
Don't worry you only missed out on a sentence. As far as the LNT goes this has been an enlightening discussion. I will be more mindful in the future. Interestingly when I search google for "digital LNT trip report" this post is this first hit. So you guys were absolutely right. I do hope that anyone reading this will at least be made aware of the sensitivity of the area through our discussion.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » October 7th, 2018, 7:35 am

Hi Kordnish:

An awesome, inspiring trip report. Thanks for sharing. You've really given insight into Hurricane Ridge's lakes, which I've always wanted to visit.

Thanks!!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 22nd, 2018, 9:07 am

Great report and photos - and thanks for the discreet photos of the ancient limber pine. One of the advantages of being an old fart is that I’ve seen many once-unspoiled places (and trees) suffer from being “discovered”.

The Oregonian only cares about creating ad revenue, and their editorial board has a long history of being on the wrong side of conservation issues, so their publishing decisions provide a pretty weak moral compass. IMHO, Oregon Field Guide did a pretty good job of keeping the location discreet, though I would have liked even more than they provided.

Nice to see the Oregon Hikers community sorting through this so thoughtfully - something that rarely takes place in Facebook, Instagram and the rest!

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 23rd, 2018, 8:59 am

I agree that someone else's publishing decisions are a weak moral compass. It was not my intent to suggest that The Oregonian's example should be followed or used as a guideline. Rather I was concerned about the chilling effect of suppressing open discussion of something that has already been made widely public.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 24th, 2018, 6:44 am

Thanks, Webfoot - I wasn't necessarily reading your post that way, just a point of concern I have with the Oregonian increasingly posting anything that might get their failing enterprise a few more clicks... sad that our "daily" has devolved so far. :(

backcracker

Post by backcracker » November 29th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Your trip report is my number uno ever from the Eagle Cap. Good luck to anyone finding a more scenic route.

There's only a handful of lakes I haven't visited in the Wallowas. I'll be damned, you passed by two I have on my radar, Deadman and Granite (Hawk known by locals). The hanging valley just below the ridge, a ways past Deadman Lake that you camped at is a must do. Holly water bubbling out of the ground next to your campsite is simply majestic. Picking between camping at Granite Lake or the hanging valley is a tough choice.

The Limber pine. Wish that tree could talk.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » December 1st, 2018, 7:44 am

Loved this post. I have done many of Wallowas high lakes and ridges as super long day hikes and love the area. Really look forward to perhaps someday having light enough gear to backpack again. Super inspiring report.
Colette Grace