Timberline Trail September 2018

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
hov

Timberline Trail September 2018

Post by hov » September 24th, 2018, 11:18 am

I just wanted to share a few pics and a video from the Timberline Trail last week. These were shot over September 19-20, 2018. I did the complete loop in two days/one night.

The mountain had received a dusting of snow a few days before, but pretty much everything had melted out by the time I got there. I hiked mid-week and the trail was nice and quite. I still saw a few dozen people but would go multiple hours sometimes and not see a soul. The temperature was 45-50 during the day and mid to high 30s during the night.

I started my hike from Top Spur around 7am and hiked clockwise. The temp was a little crisp, but I warmed up quickly as I began to hike. Being late September, all the river crossings were super easy. No wet feet or dicey rock jumping to speak of. What a difference a few months makes with the river flows. A few clouds shrouded the mountain at times, but Hood was very visible most of the day. I hiked pretty slow and steady all day (10 hours or so) and made it down and just past the Meadows Ski area. I camped right off trail in a small campsite. I'm not positive, but I would estimate I covered around 22 miles that day.

The next day I got up around 7am and was on the trail shortly after. After 2 hours of hiking I was at Timberline Lodge where I grabbed some breakfast and got some real food in me. I had a few aches and pains in my knees, but that all went away after a little rest at the lodge, oh and a bloody marry. The next 4-5 hours were pretty smooth sailing as I descended through Zig Zag canyon and down towards the Sandy River. Ramona Falls was beautiful as always. There were only about half a dozen people there which is the least crowded I've ever seen it. After a few more hours I returned back to the Top Spur junction. It was 4:30pm. After a short drive I was home in time for dinner with the fam.

Overall i was really great trip. I love hiking in September when the bugs are gone, the river crossings are easy and the trails are less crowded. My knees complained a little bit about 20 mile days, but I made it fine.

All video and pics shot on an iPhone X.

IMG_2353.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2375.jpg
IMG_2377.jpg
IMG_2381.jpg
IMG_2385.jpg
IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2433.jpg
IMG_2436.jpg
IMG_2445.jpg
IMG_2446.jpg
IMG_2447.jpg
IMG_2450.jpg
IMG_2453.jpg

retired jerry

Re: Timberline Trail September 2018

Post by retired jerry » September 24th, 2018, 11:34 am

nice, yeah best time to do this if it's not rainy

huckleberries?

bear poop on trail? - must be because you had a mt laurel ash berry pic

hov

Post by hov » September 24th, 2018, 11:39 am

Unfortunately, I didn't see any huckleberries. I guess I wasn't looking too hard for them though. Lots of berry filled scat though from smaller animals. I saw a beer last year on this trail but none this year.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 24th, 2018, 9:19 pm

I love it when I see beer on the trail, that’s the best! :D

Sorry...couldn’t resist. I was up there the week prior. It was gorgeous as always.

Great pics. I too use the same amazing camera.

Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 25th, 2018, 5:19 am

okay, since you started it

maybe Chip was there?

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » September 25th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Thanks for posting the video. I was on the trail at the same time doing the 4-day version of the trip. I'm sure we crossed paths at some point. Friday was also pretty, but winds picked up late in the day and low clouds and drizzle set in Saturday. I still had a good time. Some years, the mountain is already snowed in by this time in September.

The one hike i did find beer on the trail was going past Paradise Bar on the Rogue River Trail. $8 a can and i happily got two!

Side note for hammock camping posterity: Best places for hammock camping on the Timberline Trail are going to be:
- In the forested trail immediately before the Sandy River (South side).
- Cairn Basin (bring 12ft+ tree straps)
- Any of the trailside camps between Elk Cove and Cloud Cap
- The campground at Cloud Cap junction (bring water up with you from the creek).
- Possibly down the Gnarl Ridge Trail to Elk Meadows.
- Just past Newton Creek (South Side). Follow the squirrel trail to the left just as you pick up the trail on the other side of the creek.

hov

Post by hov » September 27th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Haha...I actually did have beer on my mind a lot when I was out there. I was hoping to make it to the lodge the first night to get a proper dinner and some cold ones. I came up a little short though so had to settle for a bloody mary the next morning.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » September 27th, 2018, 9:17 pm

What sort of food can one get at the lodge? Last I checked it seemed like only frou-frou fancy stuff I feel I should be dressed better for.

hov

Post by hov » September 28th, 2018, 9:23 am

They have a couple of dining options there. Check out their website. I wouldn't say it's super fancy in general. It's more of a rustic lodge, not a hipster fancy type of place. The prices are definitely a little high, but where else are you gonna go if you want a beer and some real food while on the trail? Being along the PCT, the lodge gets tons of smelly hikers so I wouldn't worry too much about going in there.