OCT, Bandon to Port O, 8/6/18-8/8

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Metacomet

OCT, Bandon to Port O, 8/6/18-8/8

Post by Metacomet » September 16th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Short and sweet (and much belated) report on the Oregon Coast Trail's most remote section.

Pertinant info I didn't find elsewhere online:
1. There is no easy to access, reliable freshwater available that we found.
The stretch from Bandon to Floras is a long dry spell (14mi I believe). Of the few natural sources we tried on the beachfront, they all tasted brackish. Worth noting that all river crossings (New, Elk, Sixes) were very low when we went, and so this may be more reliable earlier in season. We started with 3 liters per person, which was slightly under the ideal amount to make it to Floras lake for refill. We refilled at Floras Lake camp, a stream on Blacklock (while taking the counterclockwise route to the point) and again at Blanco's campground.

2. OCT signage at Blacklock Point can be confusing.
There is only signs indicating the NOBO route, but it does not explicitely state its for nobo. We did not see SOBO signs at blacklock, and thus went in a circle on the point for a couple of hours until a local told us to go to the point itself and going down the side of it back to the beach. Thankfully, blacklock is the first remarkably interesting and beautiful terrain since leaving Bandon, so extra time there was enjoyable.

3. Route between Bandon and Blacklock is stark.
There is ocean, and there is sand, and then there is snow plover territory. That's it. Its something like a 16 miles stretch, so if your wanting Timberline Trail like wonders, stick between Port Orford and Blacklock (maybe parking in Orford, and hitchhiking back from Floras Lake). That said, there is a ton of wildlife out there. We saw seals, a dead salmon shark, plovers, cormerants, deer, a mysterious flipper, and more during this mundane stretch of beach.

4. As said before, rivers were very low, so much so that the only one we actually crossed was Elk a couple hours after low tide (about 3 feet deep). Sixes had a sand bar to cross over, and New was virtually nonexistant. That said, trip reports make river depth HIGHLY variable (and/or highly misreported). So don't chance it and read up on current crossing reports.

5. Sand is brutal. I wasn't expecting to hurt from this trip, but it hurt me worse than the 7 other backpacking trips I've done this year. Have you ever hiked 10 miles in loose sand during a single day? The tiny muscles in my feet that help with balance on uneven terrain were in rough shape by the end of the trip. I wore trail runners on this trip. If I knew I would be hiking mostly during high tide/loose sand time, I would have worn my high tops and gone barefoot when hard sand was an option.

6. Stealth camping in Blanco is easy. We rolled in late and were not down to pay $7 a head just because we couldnt see how to get off the park at night.

7. Also, we slightly lost the oct on Blanco shortly after passing the campground the next morning, possibly due to poor oct signage. If I did it again, I'd take the paved road down to the beach and picking up the oct from there.

8. Also, get water at Blanco campground.
Attachments
oct1.jpg
oct6.jpg
oct5.jpg
oct4.jpg
oct3.jpg
oct2.jpg

retired jerry

Re: OCT, Bandon to Port O, 8/6/18-8/8

Post by retired jerry » September 17th, 2018, 5:17 am

Nice, I keep meaning to do a trip around Blacklock/Floras

I agree, walking on sand can be brutal. Better if it's low tide and you can walk on firmer stuff.