GoalTechHikes MSH Johnston Ridge - "The Big Reveal" - 072218

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

GoalTechHikes MSH Johnston Ridge - "The Big Reveal" - 072218

Post by mjirving » September 8th, 2018, 7:55 am

2018.24 - Johnston Ridge Observatory - Mt St Helens
“The big reveal” 

7/22/18
Rating: 4 Stars

Miles: 5.0
Time: 2 hrs, 30 min
Avg MPH: 2.0
Elev Min: 4,000’
Elev Max: 4,300’
Total Ascent: 605’
Steps: 15,000
Flights of Stairs: 18
Time Up: 4:15
Sleep Hours: 5:30
Start Time: 8:00
Temp Low: 65
Temp High: 75
Other hikers: 38
Male:Female hikers: 55%/45%
Longest time without seeing a hiker: 1:00
Wildlife: None noted
Verizon Cell Service: 1x
Approach Road: Paved
Parking Permit Required: NW Forest Pass for parking and 1 permit - Under 15 free - Parking Lot open at 7am
Parking Lot: Hundreds
Bathrooms: Yes 10am-6pm

Mt St Helens * Johnston Ridge Observatory

Opening Shot: Somethin’ doing her gymnastics jump with a photobomb. 

With the other half of the family out traveling, I figured it was the perfect time to take my daughter on a hike to introduce her to Mt St Helens. We got an early start and caught some nice views of the mountain on the way up on this picture perfect day. 

We were practically the first car in the lot. We walked up to the Johnston Ridge Observatory. As many times as I’ve been on Mt St Helens, this was my first time to the observatory. 

The opening views of the mountain were stunning. 

This is looking down on the observatory as we started our hike. 

There is a cool compass fixture that shows the direction and distance to all the surrounding mountains. 

As expected, there are a lot of memorials to commemorate the blast. 

Harry Truman...I remember him well in the time preceding the blast; what a fixture. 

We went on the Boundary Trail and made it into a lollipop loop, which would be the perfect distance for our hike. This is looking back to the observatory. 

I had a great hiking partner today. 

We hiked along the ridge. It was pretty windy, which made the dust kick up and almost kind of bother our eyes. 

The mountain never gets old to look at. 

There was Paintbrush along the way,

and some Pearly Everlasting. 

We cut off on the “more difficult” trail that loops counter-clockwise around Peak 4380. (If you worry about your instability or have an extreme fear of heights, you might want to go out-and-back on the other side, which is very non-intimidating)

We reached the point and its fantastic views of the mountain. 

Then I captured one of my most favorite pictures with my daughter in it. 

And one more for good measure. 

We got a view of the edge of Spirit Lake and Mt Adams. 

Here is a 360 video clip at the point. 
2018-07-22 Mt St Helens from Michael Irving on Vimeo.

On the way back on our loop there was a deep smell of Lupine in the air. 

Serrulate Penstemon was also there. 

Above the ridge I could see Mt Margaret that I had summited in the clouds just a few weeks prior. 

There was one set of Foxglove that we saw, it never seems to be very spread out when I see it. 

We got back to the observatory just as the throngs of hikers were heading out...our timing was good! We went inside to look around at the artifacts and were just in time for the movie. 

** SPOILER ALERT - STOP HERE IF YOU’VE NEVER BEEN TO THE OBSERVATORY, BUT PLAN TO GO SOME DAY **

The film was very interesting, particularly with my memories as a kid around the eruption. It felt like we were in a normal movie theater, with a normal screen. But when it finished, the dark room was lit when the heavy curtains were lifted to reveal a giant window in front, straight out to the mountain. It was a totally unexpected and incredible way to finish the film!

We headed out and made the drive back to Portland. A perfect outing for time with my daughter. 

Summary:
It’s a bit of a drive from Portland, but the lollipop hike is pretty short and packs a big punch with views. The observatory was great to see too. We had a great time!

Favorite experience of the day:
On the point at the end of our lollipop with Somethin' looking at the mountain. 

Least favorite experience of the day:
It was pretty windy in places that got to the point of getting sand/dust in our eyes. 

Today's elevation (left-tp-right):

Google Earth with Track:

GPS Track:
https://www.gaiagps.com/public/OK0dAicA2GDc7Y3d30wnbh1D

-GoalTech (aka Mike)
www.GoalTechHikes.com
@goaltechhikes (Instagram)

Webfoot

Re: GoalTechHikes MSH Johnston Ridge - "The Big Reveal" - 072218

Post by Webfoot » September 18th, 2018, 3:48 pm

This is off trail, i.e. "Minimum Fine $100" etc. :?

mjirving

Re: GoalTechHikes MSH Johnston Ridge - "The Big Reveal" - 072218

Post by mjirving » September 18th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Oops...I guess the well-worn trail to that point that is about 100' from the point is so well-worn that it appears to be the real trail. Duly noted for my next trip...thanks.

M