GoalTechHikes PCT Seiad Valley to Etna - Hiker Trail Magic mega post

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

Re: GoalTechHikes PCT Seiad Valley to Etna - Hiker Trail Magic mega post

Post by mjirving » September 5th, 2018, 10:56 am

pcg wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 7:08 am
So what have you found to be the favorite trail magic? For others, not you. :D
Good question! I find that the selection of Chips, Nips and Via are the perfect blend of choices and that people are equally passionate about their selection when they choose one of the three. (and a reasonable weight to carry) Having said that, the chips usually run about 50%, while the Nips are about 35% and the Via about 15%. The coffee is more popular in the morning as you might guess, and the chips are most popular in the afternoon. The Nip flavors I take are Butter Rum, Chocolate Parfait, and Coffee. About 90% of the people take a mix (that I call the "variety pack") with the other 10% asking for a preference of a flavor. (I always offer 3 nips as the choice)

Mike

pcg

Post by pcg » September 5th, 2018, 2:56 pm

mjirving wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 10:56 am
Chips, Nips and Via are the perfect blend of choices...
Ummm... Chips I get, but what are Nips and Via? I even tried to Google these, but came up with nothing that was edible. :lol:

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 5th, 2018, 6:27 pm

[/quote]
Ummm... Chips I get, but what are Nips and Via? I even tried to Google these, but came up with nothing that was edible. :lol:
[/quote]

I can forgive the Nips, but you don’t know what Via is!?!? That would be the magic nectar from Starbucks?? Ha!

Starbucks Via is the instant coffee that they started selling several years ago that actually tastes like quality coffee (I actually talk about it up in the body of this post as I met a hiker from Starbucks). It’s great for hiking as it’s super light and quality.

Nips are a brand of hard caramel candies. They are kind of like Wuerthers, but in many different flavors. They are great on a hot day when your mouth is dry, but you’re already well hydrated. Pairing a Nip candy with a straight Via and a little water makes what I invented and like to call the “Hikertrash Frappuccino”. I may have to share more about that if there’s interest. They are awesome.

Mike

pcg

Post by pcg » September 6th, 2018, 6:33 am

mjirving wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 6:27 pm
I can forgive the Nips, but you don’t know what Via is!?!? That would be the magic nectar from Starbucks?? ...I actually talk about it up in the body of this post.
I'll have to try some Nips. I'll pass on Via though... I'm not a coffee drinker, and apparently not a very observant reader either! Thanks Mike!

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 6th, 2018, 6:56 am

That was my guess that you weren’t a coffee drinker. And it’s easy to overlook things that aren’t relevant to you.

Thanks for the comments...it’s always fun to talk trail!

Mike

Chazz

Post by Chazz » September 11th, 2018, 11:45 am

Great trip report, Mike. I was looking forward to reading this year's section hike from you.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 11th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Thanks Chazz! I’m working on my Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie report now.

Mike