PCT section hike - June 2018 (Cascade Locks to Warren Gap Rd)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chazz

PCT section hike - June 2018 (Cascade Locks to Warren Gap Rd)

Post by Chazz » August 29th, 2018, 2:23 pm

This trip was not supposed to be section hike. Myself and two coworkers had intended on a two day Loowit trail loop in late June but the trail reports at the time were indicating that the conditions of the trail at the time, especially deep snow still on the southwest side of St Helens, made this hike a risky proposition for the time that we had allotted to complete it. Shifting plans to the PCT was an easy call as it was much lower in elevation and the trail conditions were going to be good.

Day 1: Car shuttling and a short evening hike

Friday afternoon traffic out of the city is always miserable. It seems even worse in the summer when you are trying to get your hike on and get to the trail. We got to Cascade Locks and ate dinner at the East Wind Drive-In (bacon burger and shake!). One car was shuttled out to Warren Gap road where the PCT crosses, and then we drove back to the Bridge of the Gods and parked the second car in the pull-out just on the Washington side of the bridge. A quick 200-yard walk west along Hwy 14 and we were on the trail around 6:30pm. The trail closely parallels the highway for almost two miles before heading north and away from traffic.

Another couple miles through the forest and some clear cuts and we arrived at our night destination, Gillette Lake.

Distance traveled: 4.2 miles

Day 2: Uphill, cloudy skies, and then sun

The previous day’s sunny skies were replaced with an overcast layer that seemed to threaten rain. A quick breakfast was eaten with some hot coffee and we were on the trail again by 7am. This day, the trail was going to throw significant elevation gain at us as we worked our way out of the gorge and around the flanks of Table mountain.

We all got very wet on fog-soaked vegetation hanging over the trail until we got past Table mountain and back to the clear cut areas behind it. By noon, the cloud layer began to loosen up to the east but the west, towards St Helens, did not look good.

As the afternoon crept on, the clouds continued to dissolve until it was blue sky and the temps started to climb.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted aflash of pink, which revealed itself to be a little trail joke in a stump. While I strictly adhere to LNT, I was still amused at seeing this.

By 3:30pm, we reached Rock creek. The water was cool and inviting and there were some really great camp spots to be had. It was still somewhat early but there would not be another water source or flat area for many miles and there was a lot more elevation gain ahead so we called it a day and relaxed creek-side. It was a great spot to have some whiskey and dry off in the sun from a dip.

Distance: 15.6 miles
Elevation Gain: 4190 ft

Day 3: Clear skies and hot weather

The last day was beautiful blue skies and cool temperatures in the morning. Perfect hiking conditions. We were up at 7am, ate and then started up four miles of sustained elevation gain. Pretty much all the climbing for the day happened in the first six miles and I’m glad it happened in the morning rather than the afternoon.

At the point where the climbing stopped and the trail finally leveled, there was a steep user trail up to the top of an unnamed peak there. It was a fantastic view!

Once we took some pictures and had a rest, we headed back down to the trail and down towards Trout creek. There is a great overlook above the creek that let us know we were getting close to a water source and a place to soak our feet.

A couple hundred feet of elevation drop and about a mile and a half and we reached Trout creek where we stopped to snack, rest, get some cool water and soak feet.

Recharged, we headed off to finish the last bit of trail before getting back to our car by crossing the Wind river.

It was getting very hot by the time we got to the car so we headed off to Stevenson for burgers and beer before driving back to Portland.

Distance: 15.1 miles
Elevation Gain: 2631 ft

Last edited by Chazz on August 31st, 2018, 8:14 am, edited 14 times in total.

Limey

Re: PCT section hike - June 2018 (Cascade Locks to Warren Gap Rd)

Post by Limey » August 29th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Sounds like a great trip but unfortunately your images aren't showing up for me.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » August 30th, 2018, 6:23 am

Fixed. It's quite a pain to link photos from Google...

Limey

Post by Limey » August 30th, 2018, 7:36 am

Sorry but they're still not showing up for me.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » August 31st, 2018, 8:16 am

Good lord, but Google Photos is impossible to share from with regards to forums. Switched to AWS.

Limey

Post by Limey » August 31st, 2018, 6:44 pm

Yay, seeing them now. Great pictures. I love the little tree creatures.