Mt Defiance

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Mikesblack

Mt Defiance

Post by Mikesblack » August 18th, 2018, 4:44 am

Just climbed Mt Defiance yesterday. Good long hard hike. Most of the trail is loose rock and plenty of switchbacks that makes for a long hike. Uphill was hard but considering the low altitude it was much easier cardiovascular than Mt Hood. Coming down is hard, harder than descending Mt Hood for its length and loose rocks.
Stopped a few times for drink and food and was innondated with bees. They weren’t a problem. Coming down was hard and needed to be careful as I was tired from the hike up.
No one was on the trail for most of this hike which was pretty scary. Next time I’ll find a partner to climb with.
Great views of Mt Adams and Mt Hood at the summit. I wish there was better signage, but it was fairly easy to navigate none the less.
Bring plenty of fluids, especially when the weather is warm. I used up 80 oz. of fluid by the end.
My quads will be sore today for sure.
Great conditioning hike for mountaineering.

Webfoot

Re: Mt Defiance

Post by Webfoot » August 18th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Mikesblack wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 4:44 am
No one was on the trail for most of this hike which was pretty scary.
:?:

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » August 18th, 2018, 9:15 pm

I did it once in 38° rain and half in the dark one late November, I was a little on edge about my choice and brought extra clothes to spend the night in case something happened. I was passed by a young woman jogging solo in yoga pants, a light jacket, and a hydration pack small enough to hold nothing but water. I felt like I was on some epic journey and she looked like she was out for her regular weekend jog.
- Michael

Peabody

Post by Peabody » August 19th, 2018, 10:54 am

aiwetir wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 9:15 pm
I was passed by a young woman jogging solo in yoga pants, a light jacket, and a hydration pack small enough to hold nothing but water. I felt like I was on some epic journey and she looked like she was out for her regular weekend jog.
Been there. Done that. After they pass me, I wait until they're almost out of ear shot and yell "YOU GO AHEAD. I'LL CATCH-UP." :D
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » August 19th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Peabody wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 10:54 am
Been there. Done that. After they pass me, I wait until they're almost out of ear shot and yell "YOU GO AHEAD. I'LL CATCH-UP." :D
She passed me on the flats at the bottom and I actually kept up with her on the climb until I slowed down after I realized that I was going to make it within a somewhat reasonable time. When our paths crossed again, I was only a few minutes from the top so double that and that's how far ahead she got. I figured that wasn't bad for an old guy strolling the last few miles compared to a runner.

I'm looking forward to this year's effort (I think). I'm trying to do it annually sometime after election day.
- Michael