Road to Vista Ridge Trailhead closed

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
centuryrose

Road to Vista Ridge Trailhead closed

Post by centuryrose » July 31st, 2018, 7:24 am

Tried to access this trailhead July 30 but there was heavy equipment in the road and it was closed. Might want to contact Forest Service before you plan a trip there.

adamschneider

Re: Road to Vista Ridge Trailhead closed

Post by adamschneider » July 31st, 2018, 7:44 am

Which way did you go in? There are three different approaches, and a closure on Forest Road 16 would leave at least one open.

Limey

Post by Limey » July 31st, 2018, 8:21 am

They're replacing a bridge over Marco Creek. You can still get there by way of FR16 out of Parkdale.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 31st, 2018, 10:42 am

Limey wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 8:21 am
They're replacing a bridge over Marco Creek. You can still get there by way of FR16 out of Parkdale.
That's what I figured.

pcg

Post by pcg » August 2nd, 2018, 4:03 pm

There is nothing on the USFS road closure list about this.
Where is the road closed and is it still closed? The turn off to 16 (from 18) is just south of Marco Creek so this is not a problem if coming from Zigzag - correct?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 2nd, 2018, 4:14 pm

pcg wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 4:03 pm
There is nothing on the USFS road closure list about this.
You mean this road closure list?

"1600, Red Hill Drive Rd: Multiple logging operations and hauling. CB channel 2 communications. Road will be closed beginning 7/16 for bridge construction project at the Middle Marco Creek bridge crossing, which is 1.6 miles east of the junction with FSR 18, and 17.7 miles west of the FSR 16 & Baseline junction. The road is OPEN except for the work zone at the bridge location. Closure will last approx. one month. Visitors who want to visit Vista Ridge need to use Baseline Road also known as Old Parkdale then Red Hill Rd." [emphasis mine]

pcg wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 4:03 pm
Where is the road closed and is it still closed? The turn off to 16 (from 18) is just south of Marco Creek so this is not a problem if coming from Zigzag - correct?
No, it's absolutely a problem coming from Zigzag. Or from Dee.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 8th, 2018, 8:45 am

Posted this over on my Owl Point Report, but thought I'd include it here, too. Thanks for flagging this, Adam -- you saved us a lot of potential confusion on our TKO trip to Old Vista Ridge on Sunday!

Vista Ridge Trailhead Driving Instructions

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The Vista Ridge Trailhead access from Lolo Pass is closed due to bridge construction on FR 16 at Marco Creek. The following are driving instructions for reaching the trailhead via Hood River and Parkdale. Travel time is approximately 2.5 hours from Portland and just over an hour starting from Hood River.

From Portland: Drive 60 miles east on I-84 through the Columbia Gorge to Hood River and take Exit 64. Turn right at the interchange onto Mount Hood Highway, following signs to OR 35 and Government Camp. Continue south past a 4-way stop and drive 13 miles to the community of Mount Hood. Head right onto OR 281 (Cooper Spur Road).

Follow OR 281 (Cooper Spur Road) for 1.8 miles to a 4-way stop and turn right, continuing on OR 281 (now Baseline Road). Reach Parkdale after 0.5 miles and watch for a fork just beyond McIsaac's Grocery Story where OR 281 veers right to Dee. Stay straight on Baseline Road here, following signs to Baseline Road and the Hood River tour route.

Continue west on Baseline Road, soon dropping to cross Trout Creek, then turns sharply right where Baseline becomes Old Parkdale Road. Watch for Red Hill Road (which becomes Forest Road 16) on the left, soon after this turn, in 0.3 miles. Turn left onto Red Hill Road, heading west.

Soon, you will pass a fish hatchery and cross the Middle Fork Hood River on a single-lane bridge before climbing through forest on what is now FR 16. Most of this road is paved, save for a couple of short, storm-damaged sections that are gravel. There are many logging spurs connecting to FR 16, but stick to the obviously traveled, paved route, and you will arrive at the junction with Vista Ridge Road (FR 1650) after about 14 miles at a VERY large, paved intersection.

Fork left here onto FR 1650 and drive 3.6 miles to the Vista Ridge Trailhead (staying left at a poorly marked fork at 2.7 miles). Parking is tight at the trailhead, but shoulder parking is available along the final half-mile of the road access.

No passes are required at this trailhead. There are also no restrooms or water available. Be sure to bring water with you!

Coordinates: 45.443267, -121.729225

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 27th, 2018, 10:57 am

FR-16 is open again, and the bridge appears complete.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 14th, 2018, 7:46 pm

I bet Saturday will be my last alpine opportunity of 2018. Thinking about a Vista Ridge approach. Any problems with the roads?

I think Webfoot reported some Lolo Pass issues a few months ago, and there's the report above (apparently resolved). Is there a gate that might be closed for the season? As always, I guess I should go with a Plan B. Hopefully somebody has been there recently and can report.

I'm not really worried about snow. Shouldn't be a problem that low, from what I've seen on other parts of the mountain lately. (I'm a little worried about snow depth on the hike, but that a different discussion.)

Intended route, from our field guide: From Zigzag, at the Zigzag store, go north on the Lolo Pass Road and drive 10.7 miles, and take the second right at Lolo Pass, onto FS 18, which is signed for Lost Lake. After 5.5 miles of gravel you’ll be back on pavement, and 5 miles beyond that – a total of 10.5 miles on FS 18 since Lolo Pass – make a hairpin right onto paved FS 16. (A sign at this intersection points to Vista Ridge Trail #626) Go 5.4 miles and turn right at a large intersection onto FS 1650, which quickly becomes good gravel road. The trailhead is 3.6 miles ahead, at the end of the road.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 14th, 2018, 10:25 pm

The roads were open a month ago. The ditch on old FR-18 (under the power lines, north from PCT) continues to erode so I'd avoid it. (As the FG directions do.) It would be easiest to come from Dee, IMO, rather than Zigzag however.